Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Absent

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their posts and thoughts. I'll miss Costa Rica, but I'll try to get back to visit when I can. If only Costa Rica had a big city on the beach. I think everything is going to be OK.

Lifetime Member
    wow hopes for better health soon and best of luck in your new position.

Lifetime Member
    So sorry to hear about your problems, I regret that I never got a chance to meet you on my trips to SJ over the past couple of years. You seem to be a genuine character.

A couple of questions, if I may. Is your "wife" with you now? Will she be going to Brazil with you? What will you do with your beautiful new house?

You will be missed.

Thanks for all of your kind words. They are truly appreciated. I'm mostly bedridden for now... only trips to the bathroom... but I can have all the computer and TV I want. I'm mostly online getting things sorted out for the move out of Costa Rica and getting all of my business loose ends tied up.

My girlfriend was here until Saturday, and is back in CR now. She's having all of our stuff (except the car) put into a shipping container, which we'll send to Brazil when the time comes. As a Costa Rican citizen, she can go to Brazil whenever she likes, without a Visa. She's just a little slice of heaven and has been a real trooper through this whole ordeal.

We'll worry about the Residency paperwork when we get to Brazil, but the business usually takes care of all that stuff. I'm not going to give up my CR Residency, but I'm not yet sure if I'll be able to meet the legal requirements to keep it. I think I'm supposed to be in CR for 180 days every calendar year. I never had to worry about that before, and all of my stuff is in Costa Rica, so I can't look it up right now. I knew I should have scanned all of my important papers to computer files a long time ago.

As for the house, I hate to see it go after little more than one year, but we already have someone waiting to rent it. They've already signed the lease and made a 2-month deposit, which is why my girlfriend hauled ass back to CR to clean the place out and get our stuff into storage. All of the furniture and large appliances are staying, but my 75-inch TV, toaster-oven, mini-fridge and everything else is coming with me.

I'm gonna miss that house and Costa Rica. If only Costa Rica had a big city on the beach. Overall, I like Brazil slightly better, but I've gotten used to Costa Rica and I love CR very much. I definitely like the Brazilian girls above all else in the world, by far, but quite honestly, those days are past me. I've had my fun and I've got a great girlfriend now. Sure, I'll hook up with a Brasiliana once every one or two months (it's OK with the girlfriend), but it's not a big part of my life as it once was.

Vila Velha is true, modern, big-city life on the beach, but other than that, it's not too different from Costa Rica. Same year-round tropical weather (rainy season October - February), similar Tico culture, etc. The only "bad" part, which I don't mind, is that it's located on the edge of the Earth. Find Rio de Janeiro on a map or globe, and you'll see that it's close to abso-fuckin'-lutely nothing. No more 2 or 3-hour airplane rides back to the States. On the plus side, life is cheaper in Brazil than in Costa Rica, generally speaking, but that's due to a few recent economic hits and might not last. For now, a $1.50 beer is easy to find. I love that Spanish "beach town" concept too, and Brazil has plenty of them, even though Brazil is Portuguese. Miles and miles of restaurants, bars, and clubs, right on the beach.

This board will sure miss you. Continued best wishes for good health and then success on your new position, Good Luck and God Speed(y)!