[QUOTE=MM54;7860]Reference passports:

1. Americans do not need a visa to enter Costa Rica. However, they must have a current valid passport and a return ticket to exit Costa Rica. (Either to return to your country or to go to another country). US passport must be valid for a minimum of one day from the day you enter Costa Rica.

1. I wouldn't do it.
I wouldn't, either. As with many things, there is a big difference between what is legal and what is smart. That being said, the only practical, effective legal requirement in Costa Rica is that your Passport must be valid for the duration of your stay. As I have stated in several threads, I highly recommend traveling with a Passport which is valid for at least 6 months. I do have one client (U.S. Citizen) who has renewed his Passport (obtained a new Passport) twice in Costa Rica. The last time that he entered Costa Rica, his Passport was valid for 24 days. It's an interesting process from both the U.S. and the Costa Rican side. The advantage is that you don't have any "down time" when you renew your Passport in Costa Rica. You can pay by cash or credit card at the U.S. Embassy.

Once again, I don't recommend the practice, but if you do try to do this, you need to have all of your "ducks in a row." I won't discuss the specific requirements for getting through Costa Rican Immigration in this situation, because I don't want to be blamed if someone doesn't do it correctly and ends up in detention or gets booted from CR.

--------------

2. Citizens of other nationalities do not need a tourist visa to enter Costa Rica if they have a tourist visa, a visa for crew or a business visa (multiple entry) from United States of America, Canada, Japon, Schengen Visa and/ or any country of the European Union . Note: Such visa must be stamped in the passport and be valid for at least 1 day (The length of stay may not be greater than the validity of the visa and may not exceed 30 days) or 6 months (Japon) from the day you enter Costa Rica.

2. Whether immigration officers at SJO follow this - I wouldn't try to find out.

Costa Rican Immigration officers are actually quite familiar with this one, particularly at SJO, as they see business travelers using this rule on a fairly regular basis. I have also had several discussions with the Costa Rican Ministry of Immigration and Foreigners regarding this issue. The law is pretty straightforward and everyone is on the same page. Of course, if you're from the USA, then this doesn't apply to you, anyway.

Once again, I don't recommend pushing the limit on the number of days left on your Passport or Visa.