Thread: U.S. Legal System & the Death Penalty

U.S. Legal System & the Death Penalty

I understand the purpose of the "Adversarial System" which is used in the courts of the USA. As far as whether or not I agree that that system is the correct method to try a case... my mental jury is still out on that one. However, that is the way that it is in the USA, for now. So here's my personal experience...

True Story... My Aunt (My Mom's Sister) was brutally murdered (over 20 stab wounds in the face, in her own home) over 10 years ago. Her killer is still on Death Row. He is guilty beyond doubt... numerous witnesses... there is even an ATM video of him using her ATM card with her car (and bloody seats) in the background.

Her killer had a "Court-Appointed" attorney, and the District Attorney (the "State") was asking for the Death Penalty. Although the "State" can do whatever it wants, the DA usually asks the family of the victim if they want to seek the death penalty. There were 5 of us in the room that day, and 3 of us wanted the death penalty. I was not one of them, mostly because I know what that means. Also... the DA was bucking for election to a higher office.

Let me tell ya, folks... If your family member is murdered, don't hold a grudge against the attorney who defends the murderer. In fact, you want the murderer to have the very best attorney that can be found... because here's what happens when the murderer has a shitty attorney and you're seeking the death penalty...

My Mom (along with the rest of the family) has had to deal with endless questions and appeals, which I'm sure will go on for at least another 10 years. I don't have all of the answers, but you want the guy that you want nailed to the wall to have the best defense attorney that can be found. When a criminal gets the shittiest attorney in town, because no one else will take the case, the appeals stack up, and they won't be cleared before the criminal dies of old age.

I'm just dwelling on this issue right now, because another appeal has recently been brought up. The murderer had a public defender as his attorney. Here's a helpful tip for you... If you're on trial for murder and the DA is seeking the Death Penalty, don't spend the money for a good lawyer, get a public defender. The appeals will still be going decades after your grandchildren are in nursing homes. The very LAST thing that you want as a defendant in an "Open and Shut" murder case is a good lawyer. You want the crappiest lawyer that you can find. You'll still go to prison, but the chances of facing execution are practically nil.

So... If you do meet the attorney who is defending the guy who killed your wife, your mom, or your kid...

Don't hate the player... Hate the game.

If you don't like the adversarial system, write your congressman, but don't scare away the attorneys who are willing to defend the guy who killed your family member. If the evidence is there, then you WANT the defense attorney to do a great job. You WANT all of the I's dotted and all of the T's crossed. That way, you won't have to go through all of the crap that my family is going through right now. Also... seriously consider letting go of the vengeance factor and just telling the DA to go for Life without Parole versus the Death Penalty, if your State has the death penalty. The death penalty is just a sea of endless turmoil, appeals, and heartache... there is NEVER any closure...
    Last edited by Speedy1; 07-23-2016 at 01:12 AM.