Thread: Don Fernando Guachipelin

Don Fernando Guachipelin

I have posted about this restaurant before. There are a lot of variables involved, but if you know what you're doing, THIS is THE place to get a steak in the San José area. Here's the... uggghhh... TripAdvisor link...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._San_Jose.html

I have read all of the reviews on TripAdvisor and I can explain almost every single one of them to you.

Most Importantly... it is NOT an Argentinean steak house... it is all Costa Rican grass-fed beef...
    Last edited by Speedy1; 06-08-2016 at 02:52 AM.

It still shocks me that Don Fernando shows up as #10 in San Rafael de Escazú, while I don't see how it could possibly be less than #1. P.F. Chang's is #1? Really? Well... there's a very good reason for that.

There's another issue... San Rafael de Escazú is the "high-end" area of Canton Escazú. Bear with me on this, because even most Expats don't have a friggin' clue how this works. Escazú is the name of a town/city, a district, and a Canton (county) in the Province of San José, Costa Rica. Everybody confused now? Good!

When people tell you that Escazú is the "Rich Gringo" area of Costa Rica, what they SHOULD be telling you is that the DISTRICT of San Rafael de Escazú, which is located within Canton Escazú, is the "Rich Gringo" area of Costa Rica. Of course, nobody over on CRT knows this, because even the guys who have been living in Costa Rica for 30 years who are on CRT are complete fucking morons.

If you search on TripAdvisor for restaurants in "Escazú", you'll get an entirely different listing, and an entirely different set of ratings, than if you search for those restaurants in "San Rafael de Escazú." Why? Because TripAdvisor believes that they are two entirely different locations.

If it weren't so sad, it would be funny...
    Last edited by Speedy1; 06-08-2016 at 03:31 AM.

By the way...

Have you guys seen my latest review on TripAdvisor... which was fully Vetted and Approved by the TripAdvisor staff?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...ECK_RATES_CONT

Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1 View Post
    I have posted about this restaurant before. There are a lot of variables involved, but if you know what you're doing, THIS is THE place to get a steak in the San José area. Here's the... uggghhh... TripAdvisor link...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._San_Jose.html

I have read all of the reviews on TripAdvisor and I can explain almost every single one of them to you.

Most Importantly... it is NOT an Argentinean steak house... it is all Costa Rican grass-fed beef...
    Pictures look good. I could definitely stand to try the place.

Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    Pictures look good. I could definitely stand to try the place.

Unfortunately...

photos not from don fernando...

and that is the Very Last Time that I issue that warning on this board...
    Last edited by Speedy1; 06-10-2016 at 12:16 PM.

Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1 View Post
    Unfortunately...

photos not from don fernando...

and that is the Very Last Time that I issue that warning on this board...
    Why would they put pictures from someplace else on their website? Yeah...I know you thought I was referring to the TA page. What you did not take into account is the TA offers a link to the Don Fernando website...where they have pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    Why would they put pictures from someplace else on their website? Yeah...I know you thought I was referring to the TA page. What you did not take into account is the TA offers a link to the Don Fernando website...where they have pictures.

I did take that into account. There are some photos on the Don Fernando website that accurately depict a couple of their locations.

However, many of those photos are dated, and very little is shown of the dining venues themselves.

I was referring to the TA page, where anybody and their brother can post photos. Unfortunately TA vets Zero of the info posted to a venue's page on TA.

Costa Rica is not yet a very Internet-oriented country, and most of the information on the web regarding the venues here is outdated and incomplete, at best.

I know that it seems like I'm picking on you and other board members, but I'm not. I'm picking on the review websites and even most of the venues' own websites.
    Last edited by Speedy1; 06-11-2016 at 01:16 AM.