Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirit Airlines versus Legacy Airlines

Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1 View Post
    Yes... They do... Based upon what criteria? What was the polling base?
    Travel and Leisure has them at #5 and the criteria is listed.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/slid...-best-airlines

Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    Travel and Leisure has them at #5 and the criteria is listed.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/slid...-best-airlines

--> The World’s Best airlines, as selected by our readers...

As selected by the readers of "Travel and Leisure" magazine...

I'm all ears...

Lifetime Member
    I do have to say that when I travel it is almost always about fun. So, I don't get wrapped up in the stress of delays and how shitty the airline is. I am pretty easy going. Almost missing my connection to New Zealand was the only time I got really stressed. Any other time I just roll with the punches. I have the advantage of being self employed, so if I am a day late getting back the boss takes it easy on me.

Lifetime Member
    Ok....well if you take a bunch of people....who travel....and you ask them to vote on airlines then you get a ranking. The article also says that those airlines that were voted the best were trying to return the airline business to the golden age of flying. The complete quote:

"The World’s Best airlines, as selected by our readers, are fighting to bring back the Golden Age of air travel. Instead of cutting corners (read: leg room) they’re rolling out 82-inch-long beds fitted with natural mattresses and custom Italian linens. Instead of charging for that depressing bag of salted peanuts, they’re presenting a la carte menus designed by Michelin-starred chefs. Even in economy, passengers enjoy in-flight entertainment on HD-enabled screens while juicing up their devices via personal USB chargers.

This year, 39 airlines were ranked based on cabin comfort, in-flight service, customer service, value, and food. No one was surprised to see Singapore Airlines in the No. 1 international spot this year. That’s where it always is. In fact, Asia-based airlines repeatedly get high scores on our annual survey, and there are five in this year’s top 10. But the big story is the resurgence of carriers from Down Under."

But these kinds of Totally Subjective reviews don't convey any truly meaningful information. Only a professional's dispassionate evaluation can truly convey the quality of the experience with an airline, because -- as always -- one person's dream is another's nightmare. It's my job to remove that subjectiveness from the experience, and give the client the information that he needs to choose the airline that is right for him.

Singapore is almost always at the top of every list, but not because it's "fun" to fly on Singapore. It's because Singapore has their Shit Together. A day late might not mean anything to you, but it means a lot to a lot of other people. Every scouting trip that I have made on Singapore has revealed nothing short of FLAWLESS. I have camped out several times in the "E" Concourse in Atlanta, waiting for the flight attendants to walk through the concourse to the boarding gate. Every hair perfectly in place, walking together in perfect unison, perfect posture, each one delicately pulling her little rollaboard bag behind her. And that's just the impression that they give inside the concourse. On-board... EPIC...

The rest of the airline is exactly the same way... They apologize if the flight is 5 minutes late. The service is simply... BEYOND... every single other airline on the planet.

Lifetime Member
    So that was one survey...here are more:

MSN...#1 http://www.msn.com/en-nz/travel/news...Bgd4Ia#image=1

Fortune Magazine....#5 http://fortune.com/2015/07/07/worlds-best-airlines/

CNN....#1 http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/01/aviati...e-awards-2016/

4 rankings....all in top 5

Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    Ok....well if you take a bunch of people....who travel....and you ask them to vote on airlines then you get a ranking.

Entirely empirical and unscientific. Some editor ordered some yahoo junior writer to go poll some travelers.

The article also says that those airlines that were voted the best were trying to return the airline business to the golden age of flying. The complete quote:

"The World’s Best airlines, as selected by our readers, are fighting to bring back the Golden Age of air travel. Instead of cutting corners (read: leg room) they’re rolling out 82-inch-long beds fitted with natural mattresses and custom Italian linens. Instead of charging for that depressing bag of salted peanuts, they’re presenting a la carte menus designed by Michelin-starred chefs. Even in economy, passengers enjoy in-flight entertainment on HD-enabled screens while juicing up their devices via personal USB chargers.
    "The GOLDEN AGE of FLYING?" Give me a Break! First/Biz-class amenities are improving slightly, while coach still languishes with minimal amenities. Some airlines have already pulled their entertainment systems OUT of coach, partially due to a recommendation from a workgroup in which I participated. Most passengers don't want a 5-inch seatback monitor and the airline's selection of movies and music. They want a charger for their tablets and notebooks so that they can watch the movies on their own 128-gig thumb-drives.

People don't tell you what they REALLY want, because the questions are pre-loaded.

Ok....well if you take a bunch of people....who travel....and you ask them to vote on airlines then you get a ranking.

Ahhh... The TripAdvisor business model in a nutshell. How apropos...

Lifetime Member
    But these kinds of Totally Subjective reviews don't convey any truly meaningful information. Only a professional's dispassionate evaluation can truly convey the quality of the experience with an airline, because -- as always -- one person's dream is another's nightmare. It's my job to remove that subjectiveness from the experience, and give the client the information that he needs to choose the airline that is right for him.

Singapore is almost always at the top of every list, but not because it's "fun" to fly on Singapore. It's because Singapore has their Shit Together. A day late might not mean anything to you, but it means a lot to a lot of other people. Every scouting trip that I have made on Singapore has revealed nothing short of FLAWLESS. I have camped out several times in the "E" Concourse in Atlanta, waiting for the flight attendants to walk through the concourse to the boarding gate. Every hair perfectly in place, walking together in perfect unison, perfect posture, each one delicately pulling her little rollaboard bag behind her. And that's just the impression that they give inside the concourse. On-board... EPIC...

The rest of the airline is exactly the same way... They apologize if the flight is 5 minutes late. The service is simply... BEYOND... every single other airline on the planet.
    Actually the true ranking of any service is customer satisfaction. A professional's opinion means shit if the customers aren't happy. These rankings are based on customer experience and ranking. I do not give a shit what the "professional's" evaluation says. Professional's are just as prone to outside influence as anyone else. What the ranking for Travel and Leisure does is ask about the readers experience and asks them for scores in multiple areas. Those scores are tabulated to give a ranking. Your BEYOND example might hold in a small sample when you talk about thousands of samples from multiple publications then the information is reliable. Regardless of your profession, your opinion based on your professional criteria is no more valuable than my opinion based on my consumer criteria.

Lifetime Member
    Entirely empirical and unscientific. Some editor ordered some yahoo junior writer to go poll some travelers.

"The GOLDEN AGE of FLYING?" Give me a Break! First/Biz-class amenities are improving slightly, while coach still languishes with minimal amenities. Some airlines have already pulled their entertainment systems OUT of coach, partially due to a recommendation from a workgroup in which I participated. Most passengers don't want a 5-inch seatback monitor and the airline's selection of movies and music. They want a charger for their tablets and notebooks so that they can watch the movies on their own 128-gig thumb-drives.

People don't tell you what they REALLY want, because the questions are pre-loaded.
    And Air New Zealand has both. Charger points AND seat back screens. I am more than happy to have the seatback screen with a selection of 100's of current movies and TV shows to enjoy on the flight. If I do not see anything I am interested in...highly unlikely...then I can use my own device. I don't think anyone would say, no I don't want it. It is there and it is available. Airlines don;t pull them out because people do not want them, they pull them out because maintenance and programing for them is expensive and airlines are all about making more money for less service.