Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirit Airlines versus Legacy Airlines

Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    My last experience with a travel agent was the one who booked my Honeymoon flight and room in Cancun. That was on United. Got the tickets in the mail, 4 days before the wedding. Glanced at them and then packed them up....mistake on my part. Got married on a Saturday, had to be at the airport at 5 am the next morning for my flight...so I thought. Got to the airport and was informed that I had missed my flight. The travel agent booked the tickets for Saturday morning instead of Sunday morning. As it was Sunday, the travel agent was closed, so no help there. I ended up get an alternate flight, but it cost me. Not as much as the tickets, but a fee of about a third more. Needless to say I was not thrilled. That was the last time I trusted it to anyone else.

That was a Piss-Poor Travel Agent and I don't blame you for being gun-shy about other travel agents after that fiasco.

But the cold, hard, truth is that travel professionals like myself know a hell of a lot more about the travel industry than the folks who do not work in the industry. Of course, Expedia and TripAdvisor would love for you to believe that they can tell you everything that you need to know about the travel industry... and they are Very, Very, Good at Doing So. There's really not a lot that I can do about that. Those guys have billions of dollars, and I'm just some dude working off of 3 notebook computers and a 20 Mbps Internet connection in a 7-foot by 10-foot office on the southeastern edge of San Josť, Costa Rica.

I'm very sorry that that Douchebag Travel Agent hosed you like that. He gives the rest of us a bad name, and he's the reason why Expedia and TA won the war. But that doesn't mean that Expedia and TA know what they are talking about, either. And it definitely doesn't mean that Spirit is the best airline on the planet. You only see that from your individual perspective. I see the inner workings of the airline and travel industries every day, and I read and hear the experiences of dozens of travelers, every day.

Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1 View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate here for a moment...

881 is a Very High Price for a ticket to Costa Rica... depending. What was the Booking Code for that ticket? Was that the least expensive booking code available for a ticket on American?

I understand that you have had issues with American. Did you press your rights? What was your Fare Basis Code? How did you purchase your ticket on American?

As I have stated many times, if you can absorb a delay, then Spirit may be the right choice for you, and that's OK. But flying on Spirit does have specific disadvantages.
    When I started booking I checked the normal websites and I checked the airline's sites. At the time 881 was the cheapest on a major....and it was American. I paid 259 on Spirit. I was going to use miles because I have a ton, but saved them for something else. I do not know the booking codes or any of that technical stuff. What I know is there was a $620 difference, which almost pays for my room in SL for the stay. And don't get me wrong many of my flights on Spirit are turn arounds. I fly in, get off the plane, meet my kids in the waiting area and get right back on the plane and fly back with them. $200 to fly and get them is better than $200 for gas and food on a 11 hour round trip drive. I also have flown Spirit to Chicago for a weekends, Fort Lauderdale a few times and New York on occasion. Those trips were for fun or to catch cheaper international flights than were available from my local airports. Pay $80 for a roundtrip flight to Ft Lauderdale and catch a Norwegian Air flight to London for $500 roundtrip making my total flight $580 or fly from my hometown for $1400? It is a no brainer.

And I will say this. I know what I am getting with Spirit. I travel a good bit and in the end I would rather spend the money on the ground having a good time than give it to the airlines. I would rather give a guide at Topkapi Palace a $120 for his 3 hour tour than give it to American for the free snacks. It is just how I travel. And I know in your world the client doesn't give a shit about an extra 600....or even 3000 and if I ever hit the lottery you will be the first person I add to my list of people who can handle the details for me.

Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1 View Post
    That was a Piss-Poor Travel Agent and I don't blame you for being gun-shy about other travel agents after that fiasco.

But the cold, hard, truth is that travel professionals like myself know a hell of a lot more about the travel industry than the folks who do not work in the industry. Of course, Expedia and TripAdvisor would love for you to believe that they can tell you everything that you need to know about the travel industry... and they are Very, Very, Good at Doing So. There's really not a lot that I can do about that. Those guys have billions of dollars, and I'm just some dude working off of 3 notebook computers and a 20 Mbps Internet connection in a 7-foot by 10-foot office on the southeastern edge of San Josť, Costa Rica.

I'm very sorry that that Douchebag Travel Agent hosed you like that. He gives the rest of us a bad name, and he's the reason why Expedia and TA won the war. But that doesn't mean that Expedia and TA know what they are talking about, either. And it definitely doesn't mean that Spirit is the best airline on the planet. You only see that from your individual perspective. I see the inner workings of the airline and travel industries every day, and I read and hear the experiences of dozens of travelers, every day.
    I didn't say Spirit was the best airline on the planet. What I said was that they were cheap, they get me there and I have never had an issue. By far the best airline I have flown on was Air New Zealand. They were head and hands above the others. I also like Norwegian. For a low cost airline they certainly did not seem like one. It was a new plane...787 and the flight was pleasant.

When I started booking I checked the normal websites and I checked the airline's sites. At the time 881 was the cheapest on a major....and it was American. I paid 259 on Spirit. I was going to use miles because I have a ton, but saved them for something else. I do not know the booking codes or any of that technical stuff. What I know is there was a $620 difference, which almost pays for my room in SL for the stay. And don't get me wrong many of my flights on Spirit are turn arounds. I fly in, get off the plane, meet my kids in the waiting area and get right back on the plane and fly back with them. $200 to fly and get them is better than $200 for gas and food on a 11 hour round trip drive. I also have flown Spirit to Chicago for a weekends, Fort Lauderdale a few times and New York on occasion. Those trips were for fun or to catch cheaper international flights than were available from my local airports. Pay $80 for a roundtrip flight to Ft Lauderdale and catch a Norwegian Air flight to London for $500 roundtrip making my total flight $580 or fly from my hometown for $1400? It is a no brainer.

And I will say this. I know what I am getting with Spirit. I travel a good bit and in the end I would rather spend the money on the ground having a good time than give it to the airlines. I would rather give a guide at Topkapi Palace a $120 for his 3 hour tour than give it to American for the free snacks. It is just how I travel. And I know in your world the client doesn't give a shit about an extra 600....or even 3000 and if I ever hit the lottery you will be the first person I add to my list of people who can handle the details for me.

Bro... I am not disagreeing with ANYTHING that you are saying. I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. I see it every day.

You DON'T know the booking codes or any of that "technical stuff", nor should you. When I hire a guy to fix my water heater, I don't know any of that "technical stuff" either... because that's HIS JOB! That's why I hired him. I don't even want to know about it. All you saw was a $620 difference in ticket price, but you don't know WHY there was a $620 difference, do you? You don't know if there was a way to get a much cheaper ticket on the apparently "more expensive" airline, do you? Of course you don't, because that's not your job... that's MY job. I can dance in circles around airlines and their ticket prices... just as I AM SURE that you can do in YOUR profession. If I need someone in YOUR profession to get something done correctly, am I going to look it up on the Internet? FUCK NO! I'm going to call YOU and ask YOU to do the job.

My job is NOT about clients who spend $3000 on an airline ticket... it's about clients who expect things to be done RIGHT.

I didn't say Spirit was the best airline on the planet. What I said was that they were cheap, they get me there and I have never had an issue. By far the best airline I have flown on was Air New Zealand. They were head and hands above the others. I also like Norwegian. For a low cost airline they certainly did not seem like one. It was a new plane...787 and the flight was pleasant.

I know that you didn't say Spirit was the best airline on the planet. I was using hyperbole to illustrate my point. You say that the "best" airline you have flown is Air New Zealand. Again... a point...

You are speaking from an individual's perspective based upon limited experience, as a non-professional. I've been on Air New Zealand more times than I can count. I've spoken with a handful of their executives and flown with several of their pilots. That's the difference between what I do and what the travel websites imagine that they can convince people that they know.

Lifetime Member
    Well, in my defense, Air New Zealand does finish in the top three airline rankings by multiple sources...lol.

I wish that I could take credit for this statement, but I can't. It was spoken by my team leader a long while ago, in response to a statement much like yours...

--> What I said was that they were cheap, they get me there and I have never had an issue.

"Well... No one ever has an issue... until they do."

That statement was made in reference to AirTran Airways.

Well, in my defense, Air New Zealand does finish in the top three airline rankings by multiple sources...lol.

Yes... They do... Based upon what criteria? What was the polling base?

Lifetime Member
    Yes well that statement could be made about any airline.

Yes well that statement could be made about any airline.

Yes... It could. That's why I am here.