Thread: God, Religion, and the Purpose of Humanity

God, Religion, and the Purpose of Humanity

Simply because this board has gotten too quiet and boring lately, I pose another conundrum...

And before you get too concerned that this is going to be a religious discussion, it's really not.

Do you believe in God? Are you religious? Are you an atheist?

My contention is that it really doesn't matter. My contention is that if there is a God, he created humanity and the Earth to be a self-sustaining system. Everything that we need to survive is right here, on this planet. If there is no God, then we simply lucked into the exact same situation.

If there is a God, then we exist at his pleasure, and it's not his job to miracle us out of of every situation that we get ourselves into. When people say, "Why doesn't God help us?", what they should be saying is, "Why do our fellow humans do this to us?"

Thoughts?

Lifetime Member
    Weed and wine might help me provide a more esoteric answer. But not tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennydo View Post
    Weed and wine might help me provide a more esoteric answer. But not tonight.

I understand. Here's MY point...

If there is a God, is his job to miracle humanity out of every situation that they get themselves into? I say, "NO!" Here's what I see...

Jesus (or Muhammad) comes home after a day at work, and God is sitting on the couch, flipping channels on the Big-Screen.

Jesus says, "Dad... That was a LONG day at work. Them humans are giving me a lot of trouble these days."

God: Well... Perfect Planet, Everything that they need. So what's the problem now?

Jesus: Something about the USA being an Imperialistic and overbearing power, and North Korea being a totalitarian state.

God: What about the Swiss experiment?

Jesus: Oh... They're neutral, as always... but it's just not having an effect on the rest of the world.

God: And the Brazilians?

Jesus: They're busy inventing new dances and being all sexy and stuff like that.

God: I don't suppose that we're getting any help from the Ukrainians?

Jesus: No... Not Really, Dad.

God: OK... Ummm... Let's get the leader of Russia to take his shirt off, and get a black dude in charge of the USA, followed by some white racist who has declared bankruptcy at least once or twice. That should work out quite nicely. Anybody got a beer?

GOD (if he does exist) listening to prayers...

Little Emily (LE)... a 6-year-old girl: God Bless Mommy, and Daddy, and my little Brother, and Grandma and Grandpa...

God: Yes, yes... of course... you're all blessed. I bless you. Actually... no joking here... I really do appreciate that you believe in me, Emily.

LE: And please help Daddy get his promotion at work.

God: No Can Do, Emily... That's up to your fellow humans.

-------------------

[huge tsunami occurs]

Man: God, WHY did you allow this to happen? Why don't you save us?

God: Uhhhh... Well... Mister Man... If you had been paying attention when I gave you a brain, you probably wouldn't have built your house in a location 10 feet from the shoreline at an elevation of 1.2 Meters. And... maybe instead of buying sports cars, you might put a little effort into helping people who have suffered from a catastrophe. Yeah... We can see you up here in Heaven... We know all about Rolex, Ferrari, and all of that other stuff... Great Job, guys... I am getting Sick and Freakin' Tired of you guys begging me for a "Mulligan" on your fuck-ups when you continue to pay LeBron James One-Hundred Bajillion Dollars a year to play Basketball. You want a miracle? Go miracle Yourselves! I gave you a perfect planet, with everything that you could ever possibly need. You want ME to save YOU? Go Save Yourselves!

I know that I'm kind of ranting here... But if there is a God, don't you think that's how he looks at us?
    Last edited by Speedy1; 05-26-2016 at 07:24 AM.