Thread: The Death of Prince

The Death of Prince

Well, the world is all abuzz about the death of Prince. How is it that a Pop/Rock music star could die at the relatively young age of 57? Like THAT has never happened before, right?

However, I'd be willing to bet that his death has nothing to do with drugs or anything of that nature -- although I could be Wrong -- and I'll tell you why...

I had the opportunity to fly with Prince a couple of times, back when I was flying right-seat in some corporate jets to pay the rent... NOT the most lucrative job in the world, I can assure you. This would have been the mid-1980s to mid-1990s... there's no way that I would ever remember the exact dates. He made a few movies during this time... it was probably the height of his popularity.

Prince was quite the "weirdo" on stage and in public, at the time. In person? Probably one of the most down-to-Earth people that you would ever want to meet. He would never admit it, of course, but I got the feeling that he just wanted to bust out laughing and say, "That stage bit is all just an act! You know that, right?" He was also a friggin' genius... You could see it in his eyes, and you could hear it in the way that he spoke. You won't often hear the names "Prince" and "Dolly Parton" collide in the same sentence, but they do/did have something in common... They are/were both musical geniuses... They can/could sit down at a piano and write a new song, at will. Prince made The Bangles, Sinead O'Connor, and many more musicians/bands famous simply by writing songs for them and pushing them in the right direction.

Prince was a "Hometown Boy"... I don't think he ever lost sight of that. In those few moments that I was around him, he never seemed comfortable with the crowds, the fans, and the fame. He seemed to be much happier and more relaxed when he was headed back towards his home in Minnesota. He would joke around with you -- a little bit -- but he hated foul language and disrespectful speech. When he spoke about his sexually-charged performances, he would just say something like, "that's a performance... that's just art."

He was definitely one of the "Not at All what I expected" passengers that I flew for.

Lifetime Member
    Rumor has it he was in a lot of pain and had been treated for a drug overdose a few days earlier. Not sure if it was from abuse or whether he was suffering and just screwed up his meds.

It has now been more or less "unofficially" confirmed that he did have a bad bout of the flu a week or two prior to his death. It's unusual for a healthy person under 60 years old to die from the flu, but several thousand people in the USA do in fact die from the flu every year. Since he had a performance schedule (tour) going at the time, it's possible that he didn't allow himself enough time to recover and ended up getting a "rebound" case of the flu that could have been devastating if he was still in a weakened state.

Of course, that doesn't in any way rule out the possibility that drugs could have been involved. There's also a possibility that he had a heart condition. Prince was a very private guy and would probably not have revealed any of his health issues to the public unless absolutely necessary. He did cancel one show last week, and his plane had to make an emergency landing for a quick trip to the hospital.

I guess we'll find out for sure what happened in about 2 - 4 weeks.

You may have seen this bit on "Chappelle's Show", starring Dave Chappelle. Obviously, it's kind of tongue-in-cheek, because it was a comedy show. However, as I later learned from chatting with some of Prince's "entourage", with whom we were flying...

That Cat could BALL... just like the comedy bit says. He had a private basketball court at his Paisley Park studios, and would, quite often, take a break and play a few pick-up basketball games with whomever he could find. And -- unlike in the comedy skit -- he would put on a t-shirt and shorts to play.

I don't know about the cooking pancakes thing...

So... The word is in... and I was Wrong! Prince DID die due to a drug-related incident. That's cool. I've been wrong before... just not very often! :P

But... If I may be so bold... I still don't like how the media is playing this up. Fentanyl is an Opiod... Yes... That's true... 100 Times more powerful than Morphine? What does THAT mean? That Prince was taking 100 times the amount of opiate that someone who is taking Morphine takes? One of his own family has already stated that Prince was taking opiates to deal with the rigors of performing. I don't know why Prince was was taking those drugs, but I'm not sure that anyone has the right to judge him, either.