Thread: Sports and other TV programs in Costa Rica

Sports and other TV programs in Costa Rica

I understand fully that Television broadcast companies have laws and international agreements with which they must comply, but one of the most frustrating things about living outside of the USA is that you can almost Never get a high-quality live stream from the USA. While I have no loyalty to the USA and have no intention of ever returning to the USA, I still like to watch my favorite teams. I grew up watching teams like UNC (college basketball) and The Chicago White Sox play, live.

Tomorrow, UNC will play in the NCAA national championship, so I'll have to head out to a bar to watch the game. I don't mind doing that, but I am a "focused" sports watcher. I like to watch sports alone at home on my big-screen TV and surround-sound system. Others are welcome to watch the game with me... as long as they keep their freakin' pie holes SHUT!

Sometimes a Costa Rican station will carry a big game, but it's not uncommon for the station to advertise the game, and then switch to local programming at game time.

In the past, I have had friends set up a "bypass" for me to watch these online feeds which are blocked outside of the USA. That's great, but what usually happens is that the networks don't take long to figure out what is going on and plug that hole. If I were more tech-savvy, I could tweak my setup as necessary to keep my live streams going, like my friends do... but I just don't have the knack for it.

What this means, for people like me, is that counting on your setup to work when you need it is a bit of a risk. The only truly 99-plus% sure way to watch a live U.S. sporting event is to head to a bar that gets U.S. feeds, like the Sportsmens Lodge. I love going to the SL, but I just know that if I go there tomorrow night for the big game, there are going to be people at the bar... and they're going to be talking.

Instead, I'll be heading out to a local Tico bar that gets U.S. feeds. Ticos love watching U.S. sports, especially the NFL and NBA, but few Ticos care anything at all about University Sports. Costa Rica is just too small to really have any significant University level national sports leagues. Most Ticos just can't grasp the concept that almost 70 University basketball teams, all from within the USA, play in a single-elimination tournament that attracts a massive audience. So, the bar owner is setting me up with my own private viewing setup in a corner of the bar for tomorrow's game.

Lifetime Member
    You can use a service like PROXYDNS to assign a US IP address to your internet traffic and fool the US websites into believing you are in the US watching the feed and then just uses an HDMI cable to jack your laptop into the TV. It doesn't permanently change the IP, just when you are logged into the service. I have done that with a friend in Europe so she could watch my Netflix and HBO accounts for years. It is cheap....like a year for $35.

Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    You can use a service like PROXYDNS to assign a US IP address to your internet traffic and fool the US websites into believing you are in the US watching the feed and then just uses an HDMI cable to jack your laptop into the TV. It doesn't permanently change the IP, just when you are logged into the service. I have done that with a friend in Europe so she could watch my Netflix and HBO accounts for years. It is cheap....like a year for $35.

That is very true, and I appreciate that advice. Here are the two big issues with that, here in CR...

1) I am a complete retard at manipulating stuff like that.

2) Whether it is the broadcast networks, the proxy service, or just the Internet connection itself... This stuff always seems to go completely Tits-Up at that exact moment when you want to watch a major event like the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship Game. Somehow... The powers-that-be seem to be able to destroy your feed, about 5 or 10 minutes into the game. I have friends in CR who can manipulate this stuff on-the-fly... but I cannot. The proxy services crunched like hell down here before the Superbowl even started, this year.

I've used ProxyDNS before. If you want to watch Women's Bowling or Ice-Dancing... it works great. When the NBA playoffs start, the Hammer Hits HARD!

Lifetime Member
    Oh well, was a thought. Well off to the bar you go...gotta pull for the Tarheels.

Fuck You, Villanova!

Actually... That is just an expression of frustration and disappointment. Villanova hasn't won a championship in 30 years, and they deserve it. I just wanted my team to win.

Congrats, Villanova!
    Last edited by Speedy1; 04-04-2016 at 10:40 PM.