Thread: Another One Rides the Bus

Another One Rides the Bus

I met this sad creature at the airport (SJO) this (Thursday) evening...

He blew his entire life savings trying to open a bar in Esterillos. It failed.

Wait a Second! A Gringo bar? In Esterillos? And it failed? Say it ain't So!

"Well... my good Sir... how much experience have you had operating a bar or restaurant?"

"Oh... I've never done that before. It just sounded like a really good idea."

He's flying home to live with with his brother's family.

Anyone on the board ever heard this story before?

Nah... Me Neither...

So.. I wrote this handy, helpful flowchart... for people who might find themselves faced with the same situation, in the future:

flow cr restaurant.jpg

Aside from the "No Previous Experience" part, what most people don't realize is that it takes a shit-fuck-ton-load of Capital to get a bricks-and-mortar business, such as a bar or restaurant, going to the point where it can support itself.

My Dad started the perfect business, in the perfect location, and it still took him over 2 years to stop bleeding red ink. The entire family sold everything of value that we had, to keep the business running. It finally got going, and is still running very well today... over 30 years later. We begged so many banks and venture capital firms for help. My mom even pulled the "Female-run Business" card, but that didn't work, either. Lesson learned... Banks and venture capitalists don't loan money unless you're already operating on your own. No one wants you until you don't need them. My Dad lives and operates his business in a small town. It's still as small as the day we opened the store. I don't think a single banker or potential investor has ever walked through the front door of my Dad's shop, and he won't talk to them, either. He positively hates banks and investors, and won't do business with any of them in his State. If he does manage to speak to one of them, he'll say something like, "I had to raid my daughter's College Fund to keep my business going, you worthless, bloodsucking leech. And, NOW... You want to lend me money? Go shove it up your..."

well... you get the idea...