Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cuba Dave Update

I just saw the latest update on Cubadave's website. While there's no really new information on the site, this update does make one very good point...

Cubadave is rapidly approaching one year in Preventiva. Although it's not a rock-hard line, the one-year mark is significant in Costa Rican criminal law. It requires a lot more legal effort to detain a person in Costa Rica for more than one year without a trial, particularly when that person is not accused of a violent crime.

It's clear that the government is aware of this complication, as Cubadave was recently offered a plea bargain for a 12-year prison sentence, which he rejected. Due to the length of the sentence offered, the government must believe that it can convict Cubadave on multiple counts of one or more crimes. At any rate, it is quite clear that Cubadave has managed to piss off the wrong person, whoever that might be.

I think it's very likely that Cubadave will at least receive notification of a trial date in the near future.

Lifetime Member
    As an old-style conservative with a strong libertarian streak all this upsets me in so many ways. YES...he broke the law. Whether he did so knowingly or unknowingly is irrelevant. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Yes...he is being held in Preventiva without charges and that is not legal in the US, but it IS legal in CR.

But when all that is said and done he's still an older foreign national from a country that has very good relations with CR who broke a loosely-written law and whose crime was DISTINCTLY non-violent. All those pictures he and his co-conspiritors posted of scantily-clad women were all taken of women who were happy to have their pictures taken and had a pretty good idea what the pictures would be used for. So to my mind his crime was pretty damned petty.

As far as I am concerned, the CR authorities should PNG him and send him home. CR has made it's point. The monger community--such as it is--is now WELL AWARE of the Laura Law. It's time to get this farce over with.

JMO.

hunter1...

Everything that you just said could have been straight out of my own mind. We think a lot alike regarding this matter. Of course, there are many who do not. Nobody outside of the monger community is shedding any tears for Cubadave. Most of the non-mongers (and even a few of the mongers) who know about Cubadave's situation are thinking "Serves Him Right! I wish that the USA would lock up pervs without bail, too!"

CR and the USA do indeed have good relations, and CR knows that the puritanical USA is jumping up and down with glee that CR has him locked up without bail or charges, which would be impossible in the USA. If he were in the same situation for a non-violent (unarmed) theft or burglary, his consul would have publicly demanded (er... adamantly requested) action a long time ago.

As I've stated many times before... If Cubadave did indeed break this law, then by law he should be found guilty of the crime and given the appropriate sentence. I don't like the law. I don't think it's fair. I think the law is morally "wrong." I also think that I should be able to walk into any grocery store in the USA and buy marijuana "over the counter"... but I can't, because it's illegal. What's fair and "right" quite often does not match up with what is legal.

I wish that CR would just "do the right thing" and let the man go home with "time served", but it certainly has no incentive to do so. Anyone who mentions any support of this guy gets an automatic "Ewwwww! Perv!" from 95% of the people in both the USA and CR. Any politician who mentions support of him would be committing political suicide. The only possible exception that I can foresee would be if he is diagnosed with a terminal illness.

I don't think the law is fair. But it is the law. If you break it, you buy it. I have made a (small) donation to Cubadave's defense fund... Not because I like Cubadave, not because I support breaking the law... But because I feel that the situation is not fair. Although the particular accusations against him have made him a pariah, I am still afraid of the precedent which his situation might set for those who run afoul of CR law in the future.

Lifetime Member
    Speedy....

I figured you wouldn't have much problem with what I typed. You too have a libertarian streak to you. I LIKE AND RESPECT THAT! But I object a little bit to the use of the word "perv" when speaking of a business transaction that is 100% legal in CR and many other countries. Yes...I suppose that my occassional patronage of "ladies of the night" here in the USA could brand me a "perv" but it shouldn't when discussing such transactions in CR or other countries where prostitution is legal. A simple business arrangement between 2 consenting adults should never be described as "perverted". And the USA and their puritanical notions can go to hell. Pimping? Sex Slavery? That is a whole different story, but as long as it's a straight up business transaction with both partys agreeing to what is going to take place and what the compensation will be then I see nothing "perverted". So long as neither party is doing these actions "under duress" how does adding money to the equation make it "perverted"? I don't think most men OR women even in the US would call that "perverted" if it was a simple bar pickup. How does adding money to the equation make it "perverted"?

Please forgive me if I misunderstood your post, but I don't consider there to be anything "perverted" about 2 people that have reached the age of majority exchanging physical favors for money so long as both people do so of their own free will.

Regards...Hunter.

'

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1 View Post
    Please forgive me if I misunderstood your post, but I don't consider there to be anything "perverted" about 2 people that have reached the age of majority exchanging physical favors for money so long as both people do so of their own free will.

Regards...Hunter.'

No need to apologize. It was just a misunderstanding. I used the term in speaking vicariously for the "moral majority." I certainly don't personally think that a person is perverted just because he is a monger or pays for sex. I'm a (semi-retired) monger myself, and I carry no shame with me. I don't brag about it in public, but I don't try to hide it, either.

I don't get it, the same as you...

Why is it illegal to sell something that it's perfectly fine to give away for free? Sure... I know... It's perfectly fine to sell video games that involve murder and breaking all kinds of other laws, but one hooker in the neighborhood supposedly is a bad influence that is sure to turn the entire area into a cesspool of sin and filth? The USA sure is adept at picking its laws to match its morals... but I guess that every society is guilty of forcing its morals upon its individual citizens and guests in some way.

Although I don't agree with the Laura Law, I do understand the logic behind it. Costa Rica is big on tourism, and the "regular" tourists do pick up on it. I've seen some wide eyes walk out of the Hotel Del Rey on several occasions. Usually, the guy is trying to smother a grin and the wife looks furious. CR doesn't want to be known as "The Country that's one giant Whorehouse." What CR doesn't realize is that its silly little law isn't going to have a significant effect upon that reputation, either positively or negatively.

Lifetime Member
    Thanks Speedy.

I understand completely CR's desire to not be viewed as "one giant whorehouse". No country wants that reputation. And I don't blame them. That said, I think CR has made it's point about the Laura Law....at least for the next few decades. I think it is highly likely that any future promotion of CR as a sex tourism destination will be far more covert than it was just a few years ago. Nobody wants to walk a few miles in Cuba Dave's shoes. And I think most of the monger community is now aware of what the Laura Law means. In short, I think CR has made it's point and further incarceration of Cuba Dave is just beating a dead horse.

It also seems to me that Cuba Dave is not being too smart about this. I really think he should instruct his lawyer to reach out to political types with this message...."I'm terribly sorry and embarrassed that I offended the people of CR by my actions. That was never my intention. I very much wish to put this situation in my past and never speak of it again. Given my advanced years I hope the generous people of CR can forgive me and allow me to return to my home and live out my life in peace and quiet."

I think a healthy dose of contrition on his part would go a long way to ending this foolish mess.
    Last edited by hunter1; 07-29-2016 at 12:55 PM.