Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuba Dave Update

Cuba Dave Update

12316582_896851783743344_5255843491111192811_n.jpg

The Accused: David Strecker

Dave.jpgDave2.jpg

The Accuser: Daniel Woodall Zimmer

woodall beard.jpgwoodall.jpg

In a dispute over division of funds from Cuba Dave's Sosua Guide book, to which Daniel Woodall Zimmer is listed as both publisher and co-author under the pen name "Daniel Caro", Daniel Woodall Zimmer filed a criminal complaint towards David Strecker. David Strecker (Cuba Dave) was arrested at the San Jose airport several days later while planning to leave Costa Rica.

Prelude:

Daniel Woodall Zimmer managed Dave's website, social media page, and Amazon publishing account. Dave's technical skills leave a lot to be desired. Daniel Woodall provided assistance in online publishing and website management to the website Cubadave.com, as well as Dave's social media accounts and other things to overcome David Strecker's technical shortcomings.

In a dispute over publishing money, Daniel Woodall Zimmer, a Nationalized Costa Rica citizen, filed a criminal complaint against Dave, called a 'denuncia'. Alleging Dave to have violated Costa Rica's vague 'rider' to it's wider human trafficking law. In the complaint, Daniel Woodall Zimmer alleges David Strecker to be the mastermind behind both the cubadave.com website, social media pages, and publisher of several kindle sex guides.

Here is Daniel Woodall Zimmer's book promoting sex tourism for Costa Rica published under the pen name "Daniel Caro".

caro's book.png

Having access to all of Dave's online identity, it's unlikely any funds sent to the link on Dave's site will be applied towards either Dave's well being, or his legal defense. If Daniel would file a denuncia over the publishing split, you can bet your ass none of the funds collected will be going to Dave or his legal defense.

Here's an article from an interview with Dave in jail.

http://www.ticotimes.net/2016/03/22/...tical-prisoner

Lifetime Member
    Wow! Just Wow! Jonesie this is more dishonest of Dan Woodall than I expected. I now understand more why my pointing some of this out on CRT resulted in him banning me. Only a guy like him could not see that what he was doing was in more direct violation of Costa Rica's law than what Cuba Dave was doing. He has to be a special blend of evil and obtuse to actually turn in Cuba Dave over a money dispute when in fact it was his actions that caused the problem.

I hope you are able to run into him in Medellin. I'm sure you and he will have a lively discussion.

I have made near-obsessive laps to gringo hangouts for the purpose of cracking his fat dome. He seems to have gone to ground here in Medellin. Can't even find anyone who's seen him. He'll slip sooner or later, and I'll be paying some Medellin cops a few hundred thousand pesos for a ride home. Which is what happens when they come and 'take you away'.

Yet another story for my "One Day I'll Publish It" memoirs, entitled... "You Just Can't Make This Shit Up".

I never judge people unless I know them personally or have all the facts. Neither applies to Cubadave or Woodall.

However, as I have stated in the past, in many ways, on several occasions... The preponderance of the evidence suggests that both Cubadave and Woodall are best avoided.

---------

My Personal Opinion, based upon personal experience and independently-obtained information...

My best guess is that Cubadave is a relatively decent dude who genetically inherited the wrong combination of arrogance and smarts. He's a not-too-bright, naive guy who means no harm and doesn't understand the laws which he is breaking or the consequences of doing so. Mostly, I feel sorry for Cubadave. I think that the punishment does not fit the crime in this case, and that he should have just been booted from CR several months ago. Alas, one of the pitfalls of CR justice is that it is neither swift nor consistent... at least from the point of view of U.S. (Common) Law.

Woodall, on the other hand, is by all appearances "Not Very Nice." He's not out to help anyone other than himself, and appears to take particular delight in the suffering of others, particularly when it makes him feel Superior.

Lifetime Member
    Speedy1, you summed it up very accurately.

For those who don't know, or haven't heard...

First of all, this information is unverified, but I have heard the same information from 2 people whom I trust...

Cubadave is no longer being detained at the San Sebastián. Technically, San Sebastián is where you are supposed to be if you under "Preventiva", which is best described as "Jail without Bail" in U.S. terms. In Costa Rica, Bail is not a Right. Bail or pre-trial release is granted purely at the discretion of the court. Unfortunately, almost all foreigners and unmarried, childless Ticos are considered to be "Flight Risks", and are held indefinitely. There are tons of young Ticos in San Sebastián who have been in there for more than 2 years, without even one moment in front of a judge. Some of these young Ticos are accused of crimes such as stealing a $200 cellphone (the "crime du jour" here in San José), although others are accused of more serious crimes.

If you thought that Cubadave's incarceration was unfairly targeting a Gringo, perceived "sex criminal", or "political prisoner"... think again. Cubadave is smack dab in the middle of a very large pile of people -- both foreigners and Ticos -- waiting for Something to be done with their cases. The only three significant differences with Cubadave are that he is elderly, some people are talking about him, and he has managed to raise at least a little bit of money for his defense. Most of these kids will languish in San Sebastián for 3-5 years over that $200 cellphone, until one day, they are just suddenly released, for no apparent reason. "Time Served" has a whole different meaning here in Costa Rica. Basically, once a person has been in Preventiva for a few years, the basic philosophy is, "Well... we're not sure if he's guilty... no one even remembers what he's accused of... but he probably did Something bad. Anyway... he's been in prison for 5 years now... that's probably enough. Just let him go." Remember that slew of guys who were released for Christmas? There you go! That was a gaggle of "No one even remembers what they're accused of" along with a bunch of "They're due for release within 1 year, anyway." Sadly, that is the situation in which Cubadave finds himself right now. Sure... last September, someone wanted to make an example of Cubadave. That person has most likely either forgotten who Cubadave is, or has since been reassigned/promoted.

The good news is that it does appear that Cubadave is now being held in San Rafael de Alajuela, a facility which you could hit with a rock thrown from a car, on a drive between San José and Jacó. It's not Marriott, but it's a lot better than San S., particularly when it comes to overcrowding and atmosphere. It's kind of an "Old Folks Home" for elderly convicts. Some of the convicts even remain, after their sentences have been served. Costa Rica won't boot them out of prison if they choose to stay. I doubt that this policy applies to foreigners. Although Cubadave is still being held under Preventiva, his lawyer finally got the courts to move him to San Rafael due to his age. Although I haven't seen Cubadave personally, he probably has a decent place to sleep, can go outside, and can participate in some kind of hobby or work which keeps people from going insane in prison. I've seen both the San S. and San R., and on a scale of 1 to 10 (as far as prisons go), San S. is a 3 and San R. is a 5 (my opinion). San R. gets "bonus points" for being a Lot more suitable than San S. for a 65-year-old man.

I didn't mean for this to become a Social Studies lesson, but 3 people have emailed me about Cubadave today. The primary question is "What is prison like in Costa Rica?"

Well... that kind of depends upon which prison you're talking about...

The Preventiva facility in San Sebastián is a real shithole... and I can safely say without offending anyone in Costa Rica, because I am not currently being detained there. Even CR's own ombudsman has stated openly that San S. is a "Poster Child" for human rights violations. Outright torture and abuse in CR's prisons is extremely rare, but the actual living conditions are deplorable. You don't get a bed unless you "earn" it (as in, by helping people) or pay for it. Rooms are communal. Up to 8 people (or more) might sleep in a 10-foot square cell. On the other hand, prisons (even San S., to some degree) are quite "open"... something that is quite alien to those who have been in a U.S. prison.

Compare the photos in this article to those you've seen of San Sebastián on the Cubadave.com website or elsewhere...

http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/08/25/...-rafael-prison

That's the San Rafael facility. There Are some young guys there, but space at San R. is assigned preferentially to elderly and/or long-term convicted prisoners.

Once inside, San R. looks more like a neighborhood than a prison, although it IS a prison. There is a large central courtyard, ringed by shops. Any prisoner (if he has behaved) can open up a shop in a vacant space. On a daily basis, prisoners go about their business. They go to their "corner grocery" (owned and operated by an inmate) to buy milk, bread... even beer. Alcohol is technically illegal, but beer is largely tolerated in small, discrete quantities. Recreational drugs are also illegal, but small quantities of marijuana are tolerated. When I visited San R. a few years ago, one guy was raising chickens and selling eggs and fresh poultry to other inmates. Weekends often mean 6-a-side father-son mini-football (soccer) matches. Arts/crafts are a big deal because anyone can "self-teach" themselves with minimal supplies... although there's no cure for lack of talent. A lot of inmates get an education while in prison, especially for trade-work like automobile repair, electrician, plumber, etc. It's really weird when you visit the first time, especially on the weekend "family day", because very little about the place feels like a prison. Only the (sleeping) cells themselves give off that vibe, although they are usually heavily decorated according to the prisoners' tastes. It does feel extremely poor -- like a ghetto -- but no, not like a prison.

Lifetime Member
    Strecker is quick to point out that he didn’t profit from the Cuba Dave media franchise and that hotel owners sponsored their businesses for free on his sites.

Wow- he was getting screwed long before getting locked up. SL couldn't hook him up with a room on a low season Tuesday night? Free CRT card? Tico breakfast? Anything?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I didn't want to create a new thread or draw a lot of attention to this topic.

Over in the "New Members Intro" section, there is a short thread entitled "Howdy."

I definitely didn't want to post this in that thread, because I'm not a rat, and I don't like getting in the middle of somebody else's business. I bear no ill will towards the travelers in that thread, nor do I bear any ill will towards Pura Vida Bachelor Parties. Those guys seem like a fun-loving couple of guys who enjoy helping travelers have a great time in Costa Rica. I -- Personally -- don't have any problem with them, or anything that they are doing. In fact, I wish them well.

However...

While I may not have a problem with them...

Take a look at this website, and compare it to Cubadave's former Internet activity...

http://www.puravidabachelorparties.com/

"This Place is Like Disney World For Men"

Really?

If Cubadave is in prison for violating the "Laura Law", then why aren't these two guys buried 100 feet Under that prison?

I know the Laura Law, and you couldn't invent a hypothetical textbook example of breaking the Laura Law that is more blatant and clear-cut than this one. These guys either have naked pictures of Solis or they're bribing someone with bricks of gold as large as my refrigerator.

It's all right there on the front page... "How to Score the Local Girls"

I don't know whose dick you have to suck to stay out of prison when that's your business' home page, but that must have been some Grade-A, Master-Class dick suckin'!

Once again... I am speaking from the standpoint of the Costa Rican government and the Written Law. I don't like the law, and I don't want anyone else to go to prison for it. I wish these guys big profits and a prosperous life.

But how in Bloody Hell are they not in Prison?

------------------------

EDIT: Just in case there is still any doubt...

I haven't met these guys, but I would like to. Earlier in this post, I was playing "Devil's Advocate", not expressing my own opinions about their activities. I love what they do, and I wish that it were legal... but it's NOT, and I'm afraid that they will soon find that out. I do have serious doubts about the wisdom of so flagrantly breaking the "Laura Law", and posting all of the evidence -- including several videos -- on the Internet.

There is NO conflict of interest here. I have Never, EVER done Bachelor parties, and I never will. I am strictly forbidden from even being in the presence of a client and a known working girl at the same time. If one of my clients decides to enlist the services of a working girl, he is completely on his own. The ONLY thing that I would ever say to a client about a working girl is a statement that she is a known (previously convicted) criminal.

I also don't book ANY clients into or out of Jacó, although Playa Hermosa is not out of the question.
    Last edited by Speedy1; 04-01-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Lifetime Member
     photo CR Guide small_zpsev5xkuyu.jpg
    Glad to see that CD has been transferred to a somewhat less unpleasant environment.