I don't know this guy personally, but it sounds to me like he's found his niche.

Most importantly, he latched onto the one thing that I have always said practically guarantees the success of any business in Costa Rica...

When the Ticos and the Expats all say, "That Can't Be Done in Costa Rica", you know that you have a winner on your hands and that you'll trounce them all right into the ground.

Sure enough, this guy was told: 'The ice cream freezer, which isn’t much bigger than a standard home refrigerator, has three compressors, which allows it to freeze whatever is inside really fast. That, Brenes says, is one of the keys to his product’s high quality. He says he tried to get what he wanted made in Costa Rica, but local companies wouldn’t even give him a price, saying it was a fool’s request. “They thought I was crazy,” Brenes said.'

That alone tells me that the guy was on the right track from the start. Of course, someone outside of Costa Rica produced exactly what he wanted. He makes money because "That can't be done in Costa Rica." That's the same way that I make money in Costa Rica. Zero competition makes success very, very easy.

On that same subject... My neighbor, who swore that I was lying when I told him that I routinely get over 33 mpg from my Toyota Rav4, finally rode with me last week, on a trip to the coast. With the two of us and a couple of bags in the car, I got 33.85 mpg on the trip to the coast and back. A lot of this is due to my aerodynamic cleanup and weight-saving measures on the vehicle, but it's also due to 2 things, specifically, that "Can't Be Done in Costa Rica." My car has an automatic transmission, and it has cruise control... two features that are hard to find on a vehicle in Costa Rica. We got on Pista 27, and I set the cruise control at around 80 kph. I told the guy, "One of the nice things about Costa Rica is the 80-100 kph speed limit. That's a very fuel-efficient speed range. A good cruise control will hold a rock-steady speed, which is critical to good fuel mileage."

Now, with undeniable evidence supporting my claims... I guess that it CAN be done in Costa Rica, after all.

http://www.ticotimes.net/2016/03/19/...cone-at-a-time