Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Cuba Dave Arrest

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1 View Post
    Y'know, history idolizes (or used to) both Lee and Jackson. As well it should. They both fall into the category of some of the finest Generals this continent has ever produced.

That said, I think that both Lee and Jackson alone and individually were simply well above average Generals. It was only together that they could do the "impossible".

By most accounts, Robert E. Lee is one of the most talented battlefield tacticians and commanders in all of recorded human history. However, most historians seem to believe that Lee was only a So-So Strategist, and that placing him in charge of the entire Southern Army was a poor choice. Lee was far better suited for 2 stars than 5 stars.

Stonewall Jackson is a bit more difficult to judge. I've done a lot of reading on his career, and he did have a lot of talent, but his most fearsome attribute on the battlefield was his pure faith that his God would not allow him to die until his time had come, and then, that there was no way to avoid that fate. There are numerous accounts from his officers and soldiers that he would just nonchalantly ride or walk into battle with bullets whizzing past his head, his revolver still in its holster and his sword raised high... "Give them the Lead, Boys! And when the Lead is gone, give them the bayonet! And when the bayonet is broken, give them the knife! And when the knife is gone, give them the fist!"

I have read accounts of Northern soldiers witnessing this general, who would not draw his firearm but would raise his sword and march to the front of the battle lines, declaring, "Only God decides who lives and who dies today, boys!"

Those tales are surely apocryphal, of course, but that's the way that several Northern soldiers remembered it. That is some scary shit to see a man who has absolutely no fear come charging towards you with a sword.

On one of my visits to Russia, I visited a few of the towns which were invaded and/or occupied by the Nazis during World War II, known in the countries of the ex-USSR as "The Great Patriotic War." The USSR lost more lives than every other country in World War II, combined, and the USSR fought some horrific and brutal battles on its own soil, opposing Nazi invasion.

I am sure that these stories are at least partly apocryphal, too, but I'm also sure that there is some truth to them...

A German commander spoke with his counterpart prior to battle and told the Soviet Commander, "You are hopelessly outmatched. Surrender and be spared." The Soviet commander responded, "Every soldier under my command, as well as I myself, shall die in glorious combat upon this battlefield today, and we shall take as many of you with us as we can."

The Tico Times published this yesterday...

http://www.ticotimes.net/2016/07/21/...son-costa-rica

I've given up guessing what Costa Rica has planned for Cubadave. Everything I've predicted has been wrong... I think primarily because Cubadave and his advocates have been saying exactly the wrong things and throwing a lot of chaos into the pot. Or maybe there is somebody in OIJ who has a burr up his ass to screw Cubadave. Or maybe Laura is just determined to make sure that her "legacy law" nails at least one person to the wall, and is putting the pressure on to nail Cubadave. Who the hell knows?

What's going to happen? I hate to hazard a guess, but I'll make one more... Cubadave will be let go for insufficient evidence at the end of the statutory limits of Preventiva. Everyone has forgotten about him, including the Costa Rican justice system.