Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 71

Thread: Uber in San Josť

  1. #21
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    142
    This comparison is a bit ridiculous. Suggesting a comparison between a doctor and a cab driver isn't even close to comparing apples to apples. No taxi driver is going to taxi school or cab university. Now, I am not suggesting that the cab driver is not the professional in this argument, but comparing him to a doctor, lawyer or engineer is like putting an elevator in an outhouse. Driving is driving...cab drivers the world over have proven that they can't drive worth a fuck. I have been in some scary cab rides. The only real argument here is an argument of liability insurance and responsibility for any damage a driver might do to person and property.

  2. #22
    Moderator Speedy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San SebastiŠn, San Josť, Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    This comparison is a bit ridiculous. Suggesting a comparison between a doctor and a cab driver isn't even close to comparing apples to apples.

    Yes, it is... as I alluded to in an earlier post in this thread...

    What about Medical Services? Can we just whisk away government controls there, too? Or did I just cross a line? OK... So where is the line? Apparently, it's somewhere between taxi service and medical service. DRAW THE LINE!

    But Uber is "Holding Itself Out" as a commercial taxi service. They can spew all the "ride sharing" and "we just provide the app" crap that they want to spew. Nobody with an IQ containing more than one digit is fooled. Uber... You look like a duck and you quack like a duck. Don't insult my intelligence, Uber. Uber wants to absolve itself of any responsibility while providing a Commercial Taxi Service.

  3. #23
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    142
    You want to compare a cab driver and a hotel housekeeper...fine. Both are unskilled labor. Neither takes a rocket scientist to do the job. Basically if you can fog a mirror you can do unskilled labor. Government oversight or not those workers have no real skill. That does not make them less valuable in our society, but it does make them more common than a doctor, lawyer, engineer or even electrician. All of those people have a learned or taught skill that not everyone has, but any of them can drive a car. Driving a car is not a real skill, but a common task...the same as riding a bike.

    So, what your argument comes down to is not about government control, but over liability. So, if each Uber driver had the proper liability insurance the argument would be moot. So it all comes down to viability. If in fact you are covered properly in an Uber drivers vehicle and could still receive that ride for half the price then there would be no argument. Whether they can is another story entirely.

    And Uber does not in fact operate a taxi service. They operate a platform that allows a person needing a ride to contact an independent contractor for that ride. They process payment and charge a fee for their service. In much the same way as you do not operate a hotel, but you do arrange for someone needing one to get one from a provider and you take a cut for putting it all together.

  4. #24
    Moderator Speedy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San SebastiŠn, San Josť, Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    You want to compare a cab driver and a hotel housekeeper...fine. Both are unskilled labor.

    So, what your argument comes down to is not about government control, but over liability.
    Actually, I say that it is about government control. If the Uber Taxi Service (and it is a Taxi Service... I don't care what kind of spin Uber tries to put on it) doesn't require any government control, then government control of other taxi services is illegal and unconstitutional. It's unfair discrimination.

    And Uber does not in fact operate a taxi service. They operate a platform that allows a person needing a ride to contact an independent contractor for that ride. They process payment and charge a fee for their service. In much the same way as you do not operate a hotel, but you do arrange for someone needing one to get one from a provider and you take a cut for putting it all together.
    Uber is a Taxi Service. The ONLY thing which Uber does not restrict is the hours which the driver actually work. All other conditions of Employment (and Uber drivers are Employees, regardless of the "independent contractor" bunk which Uber spews) are very strictly and tightly controlled by Uber. I've been to an Uber employment drive. Uber treats everyone who shows up exactly as an employer treats their employees. I've seen it firsthand. If you violate any of Uber's conditions of "employment", you will be "fired." I've seen it firsthand... the Uber guy says, "You are independent contractors" <wink, wink> "and you will maintain strict compliance with all of Uber's requirements." Actually, the regular taxi guys here in Costa Rica have a lot more flexibility than Uber drivers do.

  5. #25
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    142
    Uber does not operate a taxi service. Show me one Uber owned vehicle or garage. They own an app that joins riders and independent contract drivers. I will agree with you on the insurance liability being a big question and dangerous to passengers, but there is no way to define a company that owns no vehicles or facilities as a taxi company. So, while I agree with the safety and coverage aspect of this discussion, I cannot make the leap to them being a taxi company, we will have to agree to disagree.

  6. #26
    Moderator Speedy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San SebastiŠn, San Josť, Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    Uber does not operate a taxi service. Show me one Uber owned vehicle or garage. They own an app that joins riders and independent contract drivers. I will agree with you on the insurance liability being a big question and dangerous to passengers, but there is no way to define a company that owns no vehicles or facilities as a taxi company. So, while I agree with the safety and coverage aspect of this discussion, I cannot make the leap to them being a taxi company, we will have to agree to disagree.

    The taxi services here don't own vehicles or garages here, either. The drivers own their own cars and keep them at home. Most of them join "coops", which allows them to pool their resources to have a common phone number, hire dispatchers, and coordinate their efforts. They work whatever hours they want to work, but most of them do work full-time, since it's their "regular" job and they need the money. They now have an app called "Easy Taxi" which makes that part of the process similar to Uber's. If a driver wants to participate he sends in his registration info to the guy who wrote the app and he puts the driver in the database. The driver has to have a smartphone in order to use the service, of course. But they have to use meters and register with the government. Uber does not.

  7. #27
    Moderator Speedy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San SebastiŠn, San Josť, Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,876
    Of course, none of this was intended to be personal. I say Uber is a taxi service, they say they are not. I think it's a scam, and I think that they know it's a scam. As you said, agree to disagree.

  8. #28
    Lifetime Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1 View Post
    Of course, none of this was intended to be personal. I say Uber is a taxi service, they say they are not. I think it's a scam, and I think that they know it's a scam. As you said, agree to disagree.
    I didn't take it personal at all. I was playing devil's advocate mostly. The board has been dead, so it was just fun for the debate.

  9. #29
    Moderator Speedy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San SebastiŠn, San Josť, Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    I didn't take it personal at all. I was playing devil's advocate mostly. The board has been dead, so it was just fun for the debate.

    You... Sir... Are My Kind of People! :P

  10. #30
    Moderator Speedy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San SebastiŠn, San Josť, Costa Rica
    Posts
    2,876
    The most common argument that I hear against Uber is this...

    These taxi drivers and taxi services are terrible! They don't perform well at all!

    OK... But just because a service doesn't perform well, it does not follow that the regulations which govern them should just be tossed aside. If the services are not doing their jobs well, then nail 'em to the wall for it! Demand better service. Don't just "Walk Around" the law and call that a valid solution. Is Uber's paradigm truly kicking the regular taxi services' collective asses? That's great! So... Let's get to work setting things straight. It's not Fair that Uber is doing that by circumventing the law. If Uber has a better product, then they need to prove that on a Level Playing Field.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •