Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber in San José

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatJack View Post
    Regarding Uber. I read what you said and decided Uber is not a taxi company. Uber is a government service. Costa Rica issues taxi credentials. Uber issues taxi credentials. Costa Rica charges a flat rate for their credentials. Uber charges a fee per service.

Waze is similar. It challenges government, but government is happy to receive the help in that case.

I see Uber as more of a result of failure in government rather than a failure in an old entrenched business model. Regulation of the sharing economy won't work, government will need to become better at being government or it will get left behind.

If I wanted to make a successful app in Costa Rica, I'd target the government, not business.

I agree with some of your points:

1) "Uber is not a taxi company."

That much is true. In fact, Uber has taken great pains to ensure that it is Not considered to be a taxi company.

2) "Uber issues taxi credentials."

Yes... Uber does. Under whose authority?

3) "I see Uber as more of a result of failure in government than a failure in an old entrenched business model."

You'll get no argument here. Government has failed miserably in its stance against Uber.

4) "Uber is a government service."

Representing which government, exactly?

5) "Uber issues taxi credentials."

What 'Credentials?' According to whose law or standards? I'll tell you... According to Uber's own arbitrarily manufactured standards.

-----------------

I disagree with other points:

1) "Waze is similar."

I see No similarity between Waze and Uber.

2) "Regulation of the sharing economy won't work."

I always has, in the past. Now, all of sudden, because of the "Internet", a "sharing economy" is suddenly legal? The public is forgetting that their elected government exists for precisely this reason... to protect the public from unregulated business practices. I assure you... Uber is laughing all the way to the bank. Uber has found a way to confound the governments of the world, and skirt all regulatory laws concerning the taxi industry. All of those carefully placed safeguards are now Null and Void. Who will pay, when this issue finally comes to a head? NOT UBER, I can Promise You That. No Matter What Happens... Uber absolutely, positively will escape smelling like a rose. Uber has absolutely No Legal Accountability, as confirmed by the Millions of Uber Drivers and Customers who attest that Uber is Exempt from Law. Every Time that someone says that Uber is legal, they are only bolstering Uber's case. Uber is Absolutely, Positively... NOT RESPONSIBLE, LEGALLY, for anything that happens in an Uber Taxi or as a result of using the Uber app. Honestly... I am jealous. I wish that I had thought of this first. It's a Total Scam... and it's working PERFECTLY!
    Last edited by Speedy1; 02-16-2016 at 03:35 PM.

A few tidbits from User's User Agreement...

1) YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT UBER DOES NOT PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION OR LOGISTICS SERVICES OR FUNCTION AS A TRANSPORTATION CARRIER.

2) The Services may be made available or accessed in connection with third party services and content (including advertising) that Uber does not control. You acknowledge that different terms of use and privacy policies may apply to your use of such third party services and content. Uber does not endorse such third party services and content and in no event shall Uber be responsible or liable for any products or services of such third party providers.

3) The Services constitute a technology platform that enables users of Uber's mobile applications or websites provided as part of the Services (each, an "Application") to arrange and schedule transportation and/or logistics services with third party providers of such services, including independent third party transportation providers and third party logistics providers under agreement with Uber or certain of Uber's affiliates ("Third Party Providers").

----------------

Uber bears NO RESPONSIBILITY, WHATSOEVER, regarding the provision of transportation services. Uber is simply providing you with the "technology" that is used to connect riders with drivers. Unsurprisingly, millions of people are content to believe that tripe, because it saves them $1.20 on a taxi ride. Uber is playing riders and drivers all over the world for complete fools, and those fools have happily bought into the Uber rhetoric... hook, line, and sinker. I will be laughing my ass off the day that this "ValuJet" crashes into the Everglades, and Uber's principals sail off into the sunset with their Billions of Dollars.

Uber users have sold their souls to save a few pennies... nothing more. Uber has NO LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY to you, regardless of what happens in a Uber Taxi. That is the the Pure Beauty of the Uber business model.

I am looking forward to the day when a person is severely injured in an Uber taxi, and that person tries to sue Uber. Uber will say, "Oh, No! We only provide the app that connects drivers and riders!" Then the District Attorney will say, "Yep. Uber is correct. You wanted Uber to be an "app" providing you with a connection to independent contractors. You paid for it... You eat it! Uber is responsible for Nothing!"

"But Uber certified their drivers and promised to insure them."

"With no legal precedent. Uber didn't certify their drivers according to any laws that we know of. Uber just 'Made Up' their own rules. You got a problem with that? Too Fucking Bad! Not only is Uber not guilty of even the most miniscule criminal offense... Uber doesn't owe you a Fucking Dime! Eat it!"

This goes for the drivers, too. Uber doesn't have to back you up. Uber may say that it will back you up, but there is no legal precedent requiring Uber to do so. You are an independent contractor. You're going to prison, with a multi-million dollar civil judgment against you, as well.
    Last edited by Speedy1; 02-16-2016 at 05:17 PM.

I am curious to hear from people who are using Uber and why you are using Uber.

I still don't like the Uber concept. Uber is basically accommodating untrained amateurs who are providing the same services which are regulated by the government for other providers. OK... There are a LOT of arguments which are plausible here, and which could make a good case for Uber's system. So... Then What? No government regulation? How Libertarian are we going to take this? No more government regulation? Uber openly admits that it does not comply with government regulations and imposes its own regulations. How far down does this Rabbit Hole go?

I understand that people in a lot of locations are fed up with what they perceive to be substandard taxi service, and now they've been given a Way Out. What about Medical Services? Can we just whisk away government controls there, too? Or did I just cross a line? OK... So where is the line? Apparently, it's somewhere between taxi service and medical service. DRAW THE LINE! Somebody... PLEASE... DRAW THE LINE. I'd like to know where people think that line is located. Where does our elected government get to regulate services, and where does it have NO authority? Hmmm...? I've asked this question many times, on this board and on other boards... and the Silence is DEAFENING!

Here are few things that I would like to see, regarding this issue...

1) All Taxi Drivers should rip the meters out of their cars and throw them on the ground, and tell the government that they will charge whatever they want to charge.

2) Other drivers who see Uber drivers about to pick up a customer should tell that potential customer, "I'll cut the Uber rate by 20%." Uber drivers are paid a specific amount for each ride, which they cannot change. But... they're not employees... go figure...

3) The public needs to Pick a Side in this dispute. Either you believe that taxi service should be regulated, or you do not. If not, then disband the taxi commission immediately.

I have been faced with the situation of getting into an Uber "Taxi", and I refused to do so. When asked "Why Not?", my response was simple...

"What you're doing is just Not Right. The government, as elected by the people, regulates the Taxi Industry. There are a lot of good, hard-working people, who have gone to a lot of effort to comply with the rules and regulations, as required, to obtain their licenses and permits to operate a taxi. Now... you are circumventing those laws using a few lame excuses and a very precarious position. Even if you can use loopholes in the law to 'prove' that it's legal, it's still Just Not Fair! If you have a problem with the current system, then make your case. Bring it before the government, using the appropriate avenues, and make your argument stick! Don't just swoop in and ignore every law on the books, imposing your own arbitrary rules. I'm all for a good cheat, but when you're cheating your fellow citizens, that's just not cool! Uber is Just Not Cool!"

Good news for Ticos...

Cabify is coming to Costa Rica, to give Uber a little competition. But, of course, it's not a Taxi "CAB" service... "Cabify", that is. It's yet another service which has convinced the government that to oppose it would be an "offense against freedom", or something like that. As for the customers? We all know exactly what the customers care about... no matter what they say... "If it's cheaper, I WANT IT!"

Good 'ol ValuJet! Gotta love how history repeats itself. But I'm sure that it will be different this time...
    Last edited by Speedy1; 05-26-2016 at 05:28 AM.

Let's look at some recent quotes from the representatives of Uber, Lyft, and similar companies...

1) "We cannot operate under a regulatory framework like this. If you can’t get part-time, casual drivers on board, the model fails"

So... Basically... They don't want any standards applied to their drivers. They need "part-time, casual" drivers. Awesome.

2) Participants further maintained that a background check based on FBI fingerprinting would discriminate against minorities who are “far more likely to have an interaction with the criminal justice system,” often for minor, non-violent offenses where the charges are dropped, but the record has not yet been expunged.

In other words, they have criminal records, but they don't want the riders to know about it.

That's "Ride-Sharing", folks. It's a completely illegal service which uses supposed "loopholes" in the law to imagine itself to be legal. Uber, Lyft, and similar companies have simply "Dared" the governments of the jurisdictions within which they operate to "call them" on their bluffs. To date... Very Few governments have "called out" these companies, due to the risk of appearing to be "anti-freedom." It's a great marketing scheme, for sure. I'll even Prove It To You... I'm not available that often, due to other obligations, but if you'll just PM me here... if I am available, I'll give you a ride for 50% of Uber's charge. I am a "Ride-Share" operator. If I'm available, I'll undercut Uber's rate by 50%. All that I ask is, if you're a government official attempting to entrap me... then YOU MUST levy the same punishment upon Uber which you levy upon ME, adjusted to the appropriate proportion.

Lifetime Member
    I have never used Uber. And really have no feelings on the matter. However I read a post somewhere a few days ago that someone got an Uber ride from the gulch to the airport for $12....pretty cheap, not sure if that justifies Uber's existence, but half price certainly pushes their platform for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by phalstaph2002 View Post
    I have never used Uber. And really have no feelings on the matter. However I read a post somewhere a few days ago that someone got an Uber ride from the gulch to the airport for $12....pretty cheap, not sure if that justifies Uber's existence, but half price certainly pushes their platform for a lot of people.

Absolutely it does. Uber doesn't comply with any government laws, rules, or regulations. It doesn't have to install taxi meters in any Uber vehicles or pay any government fees. None of the cars have to be registered with the government as anything other than regular private vehicles. I could charge half of what the taxis do, too, if I could just do whatever I wanted to do and not pay any government fees. Imagine how much cheaper medical care would be if doctors didn't have to go to school or have any certifications.

There have been a couple of cases where the passenger has taken the driver and Uber to court, and the insurance companies' lawyers have shown up and said, "We don't cover our drivers in a "for hire" situation." Uber isn't liable because Uber is technically only providing the mobile app. So it's between the passenger and the driver, and his insurance might not cover him. I'd like to see a few more Uber passengers find out that NOBODY is going to pay them for any injuries or damages.