photo Mde Guide banner 480-60_zpskupewgxr.jpg

Thread: SJO airport straight to Jaco

Lifetime Member

SJO airport straight to Jaco

Fellas

I will be arriving in SJO in the next week. Still working out plans with the job but I wanted to go straight from the airport to Jaco (or another suggested close beach) for a couple days before work will start. It's my first time on the ground in SJO as well. I will be solo. I wanted a nice and quiet beach at first but then re-thought that because I will probably seclude myself. Would have more fun meeting and running around with like-minded folks.

I've read/skimmed and found suggestions by Jonesie and Speedy1 about private transpo, shuttles, Amistad shuttle, and public bus. The posts were mos def helpful but from about a year ago. I'm guessing maybe things change. So just wondering if any new updates on those suggestions.

Are there any suggested hotels that provide a shuttle to Jaco from the airport maybe? I'm in doubt but better to ask than not. I undestand from a friend that did a day trip that it's about $120 one-way! I saw that Speedy1 suggested the yellow cab straight from the airport and possibly hopping a red cab back to get back to SJO. I am balling on a budget. Not sure if I'll play on the scene but love to be around latinas and speak dirty spanish. haha. But I was wondering if there might be a hotel that offers a complimentary shuttle service or a shuttle service with a wallet-friendly surcharge. Currently, I'm looking to possibly reservat at the Copacabana just for the atmosphere and will do a quick search on Cocal.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Lifetime Member
    If your coming in mid week, you might snag a room at Hotel 9, they will send a driver for $120. Alas, most weekends the entire place is rented out by large parties (bachelor, wedding party) Good Hunting!

Check out InterBus. $45 each way. You meet the bus at the Holiday Inn next to the airport. They are on time and very efficient. I used them both ways. Check out MangoMar hotel in Jaco. Directly next to Cocal. Chica freindly, free breakfast, large room. $60/night. I stayed at SL in San Jose and loved the place.

Lifetime Member
    Good info, fellas and much appreciated! I will checkout the locations. I ended up booking at Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery in Jaco. Is SL = Sportsman Lodge? I'm guessing I can stop by there to check it out for drink or so right? I think its a bar too.
    I will look up interbus (https://www.interbusonline.com/) too. that's definitely a good option and half the going rate. Any reason to avoid renting a car? Besides not knowing where I'm going, the prices out of SJO are cheap and there is free parking at the hotel. Only hesitation is that I've been shook down by cops in Cancun with some buddies driving to the airport a couple years ago. Not sure if I have to worry about that in Costa Rica. Fuckers messed up a great trip 10mins from airport on our way out. Should have got us on arrival, when we had more money. LoL

Really no need to rent a car. Not needed. SL is Sportsmans Lodge. Yes stop by for a drink and check it out.

Lifetime Member
    Oceano is a great place but no chicas allowed anymore. I was there 2 weeks ago. You have to rent a cheap hotel for play. I think I paid 16

Lifetime Member
    So I rented a car from Dollar rental. It was cheap at first and when I booked ($12/day), thru Travelocity it stated that it was in the SJO Terminal. Yeah, ummm, clever...They are there in a kiosk but they put you on a minibus that takes you to another neighborhood about 5mins away from the airport. I was last on the bus so I'm guessing they wait until thats full before going down the road. Other thing...don't get the insurance thru Travelocity. Come to find out that Costa Rica law does not honor the protection plans sold by Travelocity, Expedia, etc. Atleast that's what the sign in the Dollar rental place said when they showed me. All in all, after electing Dollar's top tier insurance ($19/day) because I didn't know what I was getting myself into driving on Costa Rican roads, it only ran me about $110 total for 3 days. Took me about 2 hrs to get to Jaco, but it was night and raining. Coming back to San Jose, during the day and with a little bit more confidence on the road, close to 1.5hrs. I WOULD rent a car again to go straight from the airport to Jaco. Especially if the place you're staying has free parking. Just don't try to arrive and drive during peak traffic hours here. After I ditched the weekend rental and was being transported by the local residences at my job, I found out that the traffic here is like in the states. GRIDLOCK! Maybe worst with all the motos (mopeds, scooter-like bikes), and the deep-AF, concrete, irrigation gullies on the sides of the highway, that might get you if you're new to the roads here and not paying attention. Almost got me that 1st rainy night. But when I return for leisure and with my boys to split the cost, I will be renting again. It wasn't that bad overall.

Renting a car in Costa Rica is a bit confusing, especially when it comes to understanding which insurance covers what, and which insurance you are required to purchase, and which insurance you are not required to purchase.

For a round-tripper, I highly recommend just hiring a private Turismo driver. For about $200 round-trip, the entire amount of time that you spend NOT inside the SJO airport and NOT in Jaco will be less than 3 hours. Also, many of the drivers offer free drinks during the trip, and they know all of the tricks to get around the traffic jams. I live in Costa Rica, but when I fly into SJO and am heading straight to Jaco, I hire a driver... I don't drive my own car. I walk past the Customs guy at 2:00 pm... *boink* ... there's my driver... he grabs my bags... we're in the van and rolling in 3 minutes... 4 or 5 frosty beers later, stretched out in the back seat of the van... *boink* ... I'm at the hotel in Jaco at 3:20 pm. I give the driver $100, and he says, "See you in 5 days."

Also a common tale on Globalvia Route 27...

Derrumba! Derrumba is a Spanish word that roughly translates as "You're Completely FUCKED!" or "Landslide" -- take your pick. Mister GPS got his fir

st real workout in Costa Rica a few months ago, when I ran into this cluster-fuck for the first time. After the sign that said "via cerrado... derrumba", we soon saw another sign that said "Desvío," with a hand-painted arrow on it, that was sort of pointing to the right... ish...

"Desvio" roughly translates as "There is no phrase that can describe how completely fucked you are" or "Detour."

We get off ol' number 27 at Orotina, and I pop the GPS out of its mount and hand it to my girlfriend. I instruct her... "DO NOT let us end up in Nicaragua!"

She did a very good job of interpreting the GPS directions. The Girl-GPS voice would say something like, "In 200 Meters, pull over and shoot yourself in the head, because this is Hopeless!" Then my girlfriend would say, "I think if we turn left here, we'll be OK." Well... wonder of wonders... about 90 minutes after our little "detour" at Orotina, we arrived at our hotel in Jaco.

In actuality, even without a GPS, the situation is not that difficult. Everybody and their brother that is on #27 westbound is trying to rejoin #27 at the "Costanera" -- #34. I you get pushed off of #27 due to a road closure, just pull over to the side once you're on the side-street. Then wait for a "Turismo" van to pass by you. As soon as he is about to pass you, lay on the horn and wave your arms furiously out of the windows (get your passengers to do the same thing). When the Turismo driver pulls over, say, "I'll give you 5K Colones to let me tailgate you to #34, or even better, Jaco." He'll say, "Sure, Buddy!" You say, "OK! Don't Lose Me!"

photo CR Guide small_zpsev5xkuyu.jpg
    Hey do you still have your guys phone number or email for contact information ??