Thread: Condiments

Condiments

Just another Rant/Observation... Ignore NOW if you're not interested in rambling idiot insomniacs like myself :P

----------

So... I'm at this restaurant last night with a friend that I haven't seen in a while. Come to think of it, I don't think that we have ever actually been out to dinner together, which kind of explains this story.

His meal comes out, and he immediately starts salting it and dribbling hot sauce over it. Now... This is a pretty decent restaurant...

I say, "Have you ever eaten here before?"

He: Nope. First Time.

Me: Then why are you putting salt and hot sauce all over that, before you even try it?

He: Because I like lots of salt and lots of hot sauce.

Me: OK, but you don't even know how salty or spicy it was when it came out of the kitchen.

He: You got a problem with how I eat, dude?

Me: No. I didn't mean that. You do whatever you want. I'm just curious.

He: You've never put seasoning on your food, then?

Me: Sure I have... after I had 2 or 3 bites.

[ then, without intending to, I stepped into the dog shit... ]

Me: If it needs seasoning, then it's crap food.

He: Oh! Really? So you don't like seasoning?

Me: I'm just saying that it's an excuse for bad food. That's all.

He: You're a steak lover, right? You talk about steak all the time. You don't use steak sauce?

Me: Never.

He: Really? No pepper or anything?

Me: Look... When a restaurant serves a steak with mushroom sauce, Bťarnaise sauce, wine sauce, or any other sauce... what that restaurant is telling you is, "We don't know how to prepare steak... so here's a shitty steak, smothered in a sauce that we hope will hide our mistakes."

Worcestershire? You mean "Vinegar and Sugar?" or A-1? You mean "Ketchup?"

Lifetime Member
    A supposedly true story;

The young Ford Motor Company was expanding rapidly. Applicants for managerial positions were first vetted by Henry's underlings, then Henry would take the successful ones out to dinner. If a would-be manager reached for the salt shaker before tasting his food, he would be immediately eliminated from consideration. Hnry didn't want anyone working for him who would make a decision before gathering the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    A supposedly true story;

The young Ford Motor Company was expanding rapidly. Applicants for managerial positions were first vetted by Henry's underlings, then Henry would take the successful ones out to dinner. If a would-be manager reached for the salt shaker before tasting his food, he would be immediately eliminated from consideration. Hnry didn't want anyone working for him who would make a decision before gathering the facts.

It's an often-told, apocryphal story... attributed to Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, IBM Executives, and others. However, Whether it is true or not, and who -- if anyone -- really used this interview "technique" is irrelevant. It's a great story, and the point is valid. If I were placed in that situation, I doubt that I would dismiss the candidate, but I would ask him WHY he salted the food before tasting it. I wouldn't be as concerned with an unconscious habit as I would be with a person who refuses to budge from a habit that effectively removes opportunities. You can't "Un-Salt" a bowl of soup. If a person can at least say, "I never really thought of it that way. You might be right about that." -- then I can work with him.

Lifetime Member
    I agree with you Speedy, but I do put pepper on scrambled eggs (not salt), before I eat them, unless I can't any speckles in them. I see guys at Chubbs all the time pour on the salt with even tasting the food. Far too much added salt in food now, but I disagree with any rules that don't let someone eat what they want.
    Are we going to have ridiculous lawsuits about food, like the "I didn't know that cigarettes were harmful" lawsuits? People have known cigarettes were unhealthy almost back to Sir Walter Raleigh days. Call it the American Indians' revenge against the colonizing Europeans.