Soda Tapia is one of those places that is just a solid diner that is always there when you need it. I'll be moving very soon, but for the last 5 years, I've lived a 5-minute taxi ride away from it. Although its hours have waffled a bit on the weekdays, Soda Tapia has always been open 24 hours on the weekends. As time has gone by, the prices have gone up. It's definitely not cheap. It has a stellar location right on Highway #1, just 2 blocks away from the intersection with #27, Right on the edge of Sabana. It draws plenty of Tourists, and just as many middle-class Ticos. If you think the prices are too high, you can just get up and walk away, because there are at least 3 more people waiting to take your seat, and they don't care what the food costs.

As far as the menu goes, I only have one suggestion: A sandwich and a milkshake. Forget about the other stuff... This is where Soda Tapia shines.

Since I'm moving to the other side of San Josť in just a couple of days, and with a bout of insomnia going strong... I decided to head over to Soda Tapia for one last fling... at 4:00 a.m. this morning. I was so dizzy and confused from lack of sleep, that I figured it would be wise to forego the driving, and I called a taxi. Actually I used Easy Taxi, which is one of the best smartphone apps EVER. I had something similar when I lived in the USA, and I forgot how cool it was. I'll post on that in about 5 minutes in another Forum/Thread.

So, Dude shows up in about 4 minutes, and Off We Go! to Soda Tapia, at 4:00 a.m. I am so out of it that I forgot it's Sunday morning, AKA Saturday Night. As the taxi pulled into the parking lot, I said, "Oh... It's definitely either Saturday or Sunday morning." I strolled past a couple of tables in my "House" T-shirt (holes in it), shorts, and flip-flops... past 4 or 5 couples, some Tico/Tica, and some Gringo Monger/Tica -- almost all of them dressed at least "smart casual." I grinned at a few of the Ticas, plopped down and started checking out the tight, short skirts. Not too bad this morning. When a place is open 24 hours on the weekends, there are always some post-party people hanging around.

Unfortunately, there is no alcohol at Soda Tapia, but the sandwich and the eye-candy made it well worth the trip.