Thread: kindle book

Lifetime Member

kindle book

Hey Jonesie, am I mistaken, or didn't you previously say that these books would be available to members for free, like the Havana one was?

I haven't heard anything from Jonesie on this issue yet, either. I did get the free "Havana, Cuba" eBook.

The Costa Rica eBook was automatically bought by our web-bot, as soon as it was published, so I haven't really been paying attention or following the thread about offering the eBook for free to lifetime TL members.

I think Jonesie made a post that said he was revising the content of the book before he gave the "free" code to lifetime members. You probably need to PM Jonesie about this, directly.

I want to, but I've had a bad experience with the Havana book going out for free. It's not really the money, but my purpose in doing it. My motive was to get a lot of guys to read the book, and leave reviews. From the 200 free Havana guides I gave away, not one left a review, good or bad. When people get something for nothing, that's what they think it's worth. Old Timer has been a good member for a long time, so I'm inclined to give him the pdf version via email. But after my experience with the Havana ebook, I'm not so sure I want to hand out zero return books.

Jonesie...

I 100% understand. I am getting ready to publish, too. It's just a few weeks away. I recommend doing what my editor suggested to me, which I WILL be doing... Giving away a "Teaser", consisting of 2 or 3 chapters, for free.

Folks just forget sometimes... Somebody put some EFFORT into writing that book. They spent time gathering the information, formatting it, attaching photos and images at key points in the text, and then publishing and distributing the book on Amazon or eBay or "Books 'R Us" or whatever...

A teaser is a great idea, but I wouldn't give the whole thing away for free either. I won't be giving my book away for free... I can PROMISE you that! I give TONS of information away for free, already. But if you REALLY want the GOOD info, you have to Pay the Piper. No Tickee... No Washy!

I already paid $10 for Jonesie's book (actually... our web-bot snagged it). He's got experience in Costa Rica, and he's got experience in many other venues in Latin America that he can objectively and subjectively compare to Costa Rica. It's ONLY FAIR to pay Jonesie $10 for that information, even if you don't agree with what he has to say. It's a valid viewpoint based upon real-life experience in Costa Rica.

--------------

Jonesie... I think the only issue that you'll have to deal with on this subject is that you made a verbal offer and then failed to verbally retract that offer and apologize. The bottom line is that it's not the most heinous sin that I've ever seen someone commit.
    Last edited by Speedy1; 05-12-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Lifetime Member
    If you had ASKED for reviews, or even made it a requirement for the free book, I'm sure you would have gotten some. For my part, I have never been to Cuba, and probably will never be able to afford to go, so I had very little basis for comment.

I still haven't read the Havana book, but I hope to soon. I'll leave a review after I do. I got halfway through the Costa Rica book, then some other stuff came up. I'll finish it in a few days, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1 View Post
    I still haven't read the Havana book, but I hope to soon. I'll leave a review after I do. I got halfway through the Costa Rica book, then some other stuff came up. I'll finish it in a few days, I'm sure.
    Actually, I managed to get "freed up" earlier than I expected. That... combined with a bout of insomnia... allowed me to finish the Costa Rica eBook last night/this morning.

-----------

For both Jonesie and the guys reading this, I would say this about the book...

First of all, it contains a lot of good info. If you're a monger on your first or second trip to CR, the book will help you, quite a bit.

A lot of the info that it contains is opinion... That's fair... Jonesie warns you about that at the beginning of the book.

There is a lot of Political info in the book, which is probably not relevant to the casual traveler, but probably is relevant or at least interesting to the repeat traveler.

It's monger-oriented. Don't expect too much information on general travel or non-monger subjects.

-----------

Overall... I'm glad I read it. It's a good, solid viewpoint from someone who has some real, valid insight on the Costa Rica mongering scene.
    Last edited by Speedy1; 05-15-2015 at 08:35 AM.