Thread: Del Rey and guys checking their cell phones!!

Lifetime Member

Del Rey and guys checking their cell phones!!

Ok, I have been to the dey rey many times and I also check out the video feed the hotel has. When I see a guy checking out his cell phone, it drives me nuts! Ok, all these beautiful women are around and YOU need to check if you have a text or e-mail!! WHAT the (*&^%( are you kidding me!!!! Focus!! Get laid! Geez, OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Dancer21 View Post
    Ok, I have been to the dey rey many times and I also check out the video feed the hotel has. When I see a guy checking out his cell phone, it drives me nuts! Ok, all these beautiful women are around and YOU need to check if you have a text or e-mail!! WHAT the (*&^%( are you kidding me!!!! Focus!! Get laid! Geez, OMG

Actually, I do that all the time when I am at the Del Rey, SL, and many other venues in the Gulch... But, there is a method to my madness!

I have told many guys about this over the past 7 or 8 years, so maybe they are just following my lead...

Tons of guys travel to CR, and come to the gulch to monger, especially at this time of year. Also, guys like me, who used to vacation in CR quite frequently for mongering purposes, still occasionally visit the Gulch venues, to have a fun evening. And what do we all -- tourist, traveler, resident, and citizen -- what do we all see? About 200 girls... all staring intently at, and tapping away on... Their Goddamn Cellphones! I've said it many times for many years...

The cellphone is the worst invention in the history of mankind. The cellphone has single-handedly sucked all of the "social" and "interaction" out of social interaction, and it has engendered absolutely horrible manners and social habits. The cellphone has managed to make itself THE most important "person" in most people's lives.

Example...

I'm talking with someone. It doesn't even have to be a girl, but it could be a girl. it doesn't matter. We're having an intelligent, intense, thoughtful, serious discussion. Then... In mid-sentence... We hear that sound... "Dee Dee Doo Da, Dee Dee Doo Da, Dee Dee Doo Da..."

It doesn't matter what we're discussing. I could be Obama, the Pope, or even Jesus himself... You KNOW what's going to happen...

The person says, "Oh... Excuse me for a moment." Then... They answer the call.

The Caller ID might say "Private Number." It might just be ICE, calling to telemarket their new 4G Cellular Internet Plan. It doesn't matter how insignificant the caller is... That caller AUTOMATICALLY becomes more important than any other person in the world, as soon as that phone rings.

I don't mind saying... That just pisses me off to the maximum extent that I've ever been pissed off... Every Single Time that it happens. If I could get away with it... I would tear down every single Cell Tower on Planet Earth. They didn't exist 30 years ago, and people apparently survived back then. In fact, I hear that people, back in 1985, actually went to bars and TALKED to each other... like... ALL THE TIME!

------------------

So... Whenever I go to the SL, Del Rey, etc... I'll do one full lap. I'll smile at all the girls that I'm potentially interested in. 80% of the time, they'll look up at me from their iPhones, smile... briefly... then return to doing whatever they were communing about with Steve Jobs' ghost.

As a guy, just like all of the other guys in these places, with very few exceptions, we are all there to snag a girl or five and pay them for their services...

I assume... silly me... that the girls are there to collect that money. But, invariably, after watching the girls play "Angry Birds" on their cellphones for 8 hours, those very same girls will come up to me and start whining... "Oh! Speedy1! I didn't make any money today. Not even one guy was interested in me. Business is so bad!"

On at least two occasions, my answer has been, "How could you POSSIBLY know how bad business is? You haven't even been here today!"

But, I guarantee it... Tomorrow, those very same girls will be back in the Del Rey, running through a full charge on their cellphone batteries on What's App and Facebook. Then, when the battery finally dies 8 hours later, they'll all lament, "No business today! None of the guys are interested in me!" Well... You certainly can't accuse them of lying...

"NO, Sweetheart! None of these guys are interested in you! You're 100% right about that!"

------------

So, after that first lap through the place, if none of the girls actually turn away from Mr. Apple... I sit down at the bar, order a beer, and start texting or playing online chess, or online Battleship.

If one of the girls approaches me later, I usually say, "Can't you see I'm busy playing with my cellphone? I thought this was a cellphone bar!"