Thread: Cubadave updates us on the Costa Rica scene

Cubadave updates us on the Costa Rica scene

My old pal Cuba Dave updating us on the gulch.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0w2Ga3GN5jY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2Ga3GN5jY

You can see more of Dave's adventures at http://www.cubadave.com

I got this to say about Cuba Dave...

He is NOT my most favorite person in the world. We don't run with the same crowd, and we definitely don't have the same philosophy about the girls, the bars, and the other venues.

And... You Know What? THAT's OK!!!

I don't hate Cuba Dave. In fact, I Respect the Guy! I doubt if he would remember me, but we have shook hands twice and probably spoken for a grand total of 30 seconds.

Even if I wanted to... I couldn't trash anything that this guy states as fact. I won't comment on his opinions... but when he states FACT, it's FACT. I can't argue with that. We just paddle different boats, and that's OK!

---------------

He's dead-on correct about Spirit and JetBlue. I hate the low-cost airlines, for other reasons. I don't fly Spirit or JetBlue. However, a lot of folks are pissed off at American Airlines and the other domestic USA "Legacy" carriers... and I don't blame them. People do need to realize, however, that the legacy carriers base a large part of their business models upon repeat business and customer loyalty.

O.L.D. is an outstanding provider for transportation services. I can't even begin to argue with that. However, the Orange Airport taxis never fail to provide ultra-rapid service into the downtown area... And you're never depending upon an individual, or hampered by a delayed flight or change in flight schedule.

Totally agree with the Props for Zona 2 and Cocal in Jaco.

------------------

If you guys want good solid advice about mongering in the Central American/Caribbean area, it pays to check out Cuba Dave's page.

I feel bad...

I always feel like my blunt personality is always causing me to unintentionally show disrespect to someone... I am probably overly-paranoid about that...

Just to clarify...

I have read a lot of Cuba Dave's posts and eBooks, and our opinions about a lot of things are Highly Divergent. However... That does not mean that I think that he is wrong. The guy puts out a lot of good info... It is up to you, personally, to decide if his tactics work for you... But the info is solid.

I Highly recommend his eBook on mongering in the Dominican Republic, one of my own personal haunts... the Sosua/Cabarete area...

http://www.amazon.com/Daves-Guide-So...words=cubadave

--------------

Note... I have no relationship with Cuba Dave... I just recognize good, solid info when I see it. This is my business, after all. The guy is definitely not blowing smoke...
    Last edited by Speedy1; 02-22-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Lifetime Member
    Cuba Dave's info on the internet really helped me on my first visit to CR. I was pretty intimidated and wasn't sure what to expect. Simple things like just knowing what hotels are Chica friendly. I stayed at the Sleep inn on my first trip and even though the chica fee is $30, I knew they were ok with the girls and it was close to the Del Rey. I remember even taking a cab to the Sportsman, the taxi driver took the long way to get there, then of course I found out it is walking distance from the Sleep Inn. Long story short for the first timer, his info is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancer21 View Post
    Cuba Dave's info on the internet really helped me on my first visit to CR. I was pretty intimidated and wasn't sure what to expect. Simple things like just knowing what hotels are Chica friendly. I stayed at the Sleep inn on my first trip and even though the chica fee is $30, I knew they were ok with the girls and it was close to the Del Rey. I remember even taking a cab to the Sportsman, the taxi driver took the long way to get there, then of course I found out it is walking distance from the Sleep Inn. Long story short for the first timer, his info is pretty good.
    Once again... I am not a paid advertiser of Cuba Dave and his published material. I am just stating, straight-up, that his stuff is factual. It's up to you if you decide whether or not you want to employ his tactics or if you share his opinions.

I have downloaded and read every single eBook that is for sale on Amazon or eBay (about CR). I have subscriptions to Frommer's, Lonely Planet, and Fodor's. I have read everything that is published about life in Costa Rica, from cover-to-cover, at least twice, and most more than that. That's my job. That's what I do. I know bullshit when I see it.

I say this because... For the Monger, there is not a whole lot of good stuff out there. But Cuba Dave's stuff is solid info. I like to pump up the guys that are truly putting out decent info. I don't get any cash from that... it's just basic satisfaction.

I know... It almost sounds like I'm back on the board full-time again, doesn't it? :P

Not really. The reason I've been posting in this thread about Cuba Dave's publications is because this is the time of year that I begin reading all of the publications that are available on Costa Rica travel. This includes Fodor's, Frommer's, Lonely Planet, everything on Amazon.com that is about Costa Rica travel or relocation (including Cuba Dave's stuff), and about 30 or 40 websites that claim to report accurate info on Costa Rica. So... I'm online for a little while... But not like in the "old days" when I was just sitting here watching "Guardians of the Galaxy", waiting for the email alarm to go off.

So... In this stack of books and HUGE list of website addresses, I am busy for at least 3 weeks... reading and underlining or noting all of the errors and items that I may have missed in my own research. As usual, the "big boys" do not disappoint. I'll go through 3 or 4 highlighters just marking the incorrect and misleading info in Fodor's, Frommer's, and Lonely Planet. Then I'll move on to the hopelessly biased and narrow-vision "autobiographies" of the self-published authors on Amazon.com who claim to know all there is to know about Costa Rica.

Don't even get me started on TripAdvisor. That worthless website wouldn't even know where Costa Rica was located if someone smacked their staff in the face with a map of it.