When it comes to authentic Hong Kong style Dim Sum, it doesnít get any more authentic than Casa China. Sometimes perhaps a little too authentic. Not even the most skeptical critic could say that Casa China in Los Yoses is not the real deal.

Iím not going to pretend to know how to pronounce some of the items I have had at this establishment, but I have to admit some of them were absolutely delicious. Not to mention obscenely cheap. My favorite was some sort of muffin with steamed shrimp in it. They brought over some sort of spicy soy dipping sauce.

It is already difficult enough to explain items you want to a Chinese person trying to speak English in the states. But trying to ask a Chinese person how to explain an item in Spanish is an exercise in futility. Thankfully, the items are carted around the restaurant in rolling trays. So you can select your item by visual. Even then, one must still be diligent and make sure the plate you point at is actually what you think it is. If barbequed chicken claws are not what you meant to order, sometimes asking might help avoid such missteps.

The several times I have been to Casa China was with a friend. What was shocking, in a good way, was when the bill arrived. The both of us had gorged on Dim Sum to the point we were almost ill, and the bill came out to just over $20. We had to do a mental recount to make sure the waiter was not forgetting to charge us for some of the items we had ordered.

As I mentioned, Casa China is very authentic, their core clientle are native Chinese expats. But even the most hapless gringo can find something he likes on this menu. Finding Chinese food in Costa Rica, other than the fast, Americanized style, is difficult. But with Casa China and Tin Jo, you have two very formidable options in San Jose.