Thread: Getting to and from Jaco

Getting to and from Jaco

If you're in San Jose, and were thinking of heading out to the beach, there are a few options you might want to consider.

A taxi: A taxi will run you about $100 each way. You can negotiate a fare up front.

Shuttle: There are a number of shuttles that go to Jaco from main hotels in San Jose centro. They run from $40-$70. I

Amistad Bus: I hear this is almost ready. Matt might be able to expand on the launch date. I think the price is $35, with a free ride to those staying at the Amistad.

Public Bus: Not very sexy, but it will get you there cheap. The bus runs from Coca Cola to Jaco bus station for about $5 each way. Takes about 2.5 hours from what I'm told. Here's the schedule.

IMG_2457.JPG

Lifetime Member
    i use and highly recomend PVT transport

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesie View Post
    If you're in San Jose, and were thinking of heading out to the beach, there are a few options you might want to consider.

Public Bus: Not very sexy, but it will get you there cheap. The bus runs from Coca Cola to Jaco bus station for about $5 each way. Takes about 2.5 hours from what I'm told. Here's the schedule.

IMG_2457.JPG
    Actually, the long-range (non-intra-city) buses are quite nice. Many of them make a few stops on the way, so it's not as fast as a taxi or shuttle, but it's still no more than 2 hours to Jaco. There is no air-conditioning, which will be a factor during about the last 30 minutes of the trip.

You can even buy your tickets and get your seat assignments online.

https://www.transportesjacoruta655.com/venta/venta.php

These buses do in fact leave from the Coca Cola station. Although Coca Cola is very close to Paseo Colon in a nice and safe part of town, the Coca Cola station and Market is not the kind of place where you want to let your guard down. It's really better to be with a native or resident, or at least have your Driver hang out with you until your bus starts boarding. It's not particularly dangerous, but there are a lot of "Snidely Whiplash" type of people hanging around trying to scam you or possibly pickpocket you. Violent crime -- No. Wallet-sniping -- Yes.

Once on the bus, you're fine. The buses are modern, clean, and pleasant -- except for the "No Air-Conditioning" part. Luggage stored underneath the bus is safe and secure. Keep all carry-ons where you can see them, or just hang onto them. Most folks on the bus are not looking to steal or commit any other crime, but they would be perfectly happy to snag the bag of a clueless tourist.