Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Gifts

Lifetime Member

Small Gifts

I was wondering about small gift items to take on my trip to Costa Rica that may be hard to come by for locals, to give away to the Tica's. Also is it better to take traveler checks as it appears hotels may be entering the room safes, bit nervous taking large sums of money. I can see setting out on the town for adventures of food,drink and fun with 300-400 dollars in the pocket and on first stop seeing that adventure starting with beautiful companion in back of MP and wondering how to pile the clothes and keep mind on the adventure not $ in corner. Any advice or strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Coach View Post
    I was wondering about small gift items to take on my trip to Costa Rica that may be hard to come by for locals, to give away to the Tica's. Also is it better to take traveler checks as it appears hotels may be entering the room safes, bit nervous taking large sums of money. I can see setting out on the town for adventures of food,drink and fun with 300-400 dollars in the pocket and on first stop seeing that adventure starting with beautiful companion in back of MP and wondering how to pile the clothes and keep mind on the adventure not $ in corner. Any advice or strategy?
    Small gifts are an excellent idea that always make people smile and spread goodwill. Don't just give them away to anyone -- use them as a gratuity for the girls who treat you right. Traveler's Checks are an anachronism, pretty much anywhere in the world. Don't bother. The safes in the reputable hotels are secure -- put all of your valuables in them. The National Banks' ATMs are fair. Most hotels exchange US Dollars for a reasonable rate. Showing up with about $300 in cash, a credit card, and an ATM card is a good plan.

Attila
    I always use my atm card. Fees depends on your financial institute. Bring some U.S dollars with you for 1st day expense...taxi, hotel.

Lifetime Member
    I second Attila. I bring enough cash to pay for my hotel room and a bit extra just in case. I use my ATM card for everything else (rarely use a credit card). Lately with the favorable exchange rate, I used only colones on my last trip to San Jose (early March). When the exchange rate was 500C = $1, then I used USDs most of the time, just so I wouldn't get stuck with too many colones.

PS - I use a credit union and the only fee I pay for withdrawing cash with an ATM card is 1% (and I get the current exchange rate).

Lifetime Member

Ideas for small gifts

I am unsure what type of small gifts to take as I am unware of "special" items. I know I took american chocolate and coloring books to South America and was a hit. Please share trinkets that may be appreciated in Costa Rica

Lifetime Member
    Cheap makeup at drugstores are very expensive in Costa Rica

Lifetime Member
    I usually go to Ross dress for less and buy a bunch of panties. They cost like 2 bucks or less for each. Just get some small and some medium. They really seem to enjoy that

Lifetime Member
    In general the gifts are under-appreciated. I've done it a dozen times. The response and return the tica or chica will give for your gift is minimal. Not worth it. Have drinks and snacks in the hotel room for her and you and give her cash if she deserves it.

Small gifts can do wonders with right girl. It is true that some girls don't appreciate them. Some of them are all about the cash. It's a matter of judgment to figure out which girls are worth giving any gifts and what type of gift you give them. If she's all business, I usually skip the gifts. If I get the vibe that she's a decent person, a gift can really break through the business-client barrier and result in a solid repeat provider.

I generally avoid clothes because it seems to reinforce the emotionless sex-based relationship, and sizes and styles are always problematic. Small stuffed toys, coloring books, and other inexpensive gifts can be gold if the girl is willing to move to a less robotic relationship with you. For most of the genuine girls, their children are their whole life, and a child-type gift will melt her heart.

For the girls themselves, little sample bottles of perfume (check eBay) and those 2-for-1 $10 glossy, sparkly lipsticks from Victorias' Secret will have them wrapping their legs around you so tight that you can't breathe. Those little girly-girl type of gifts are far more personal than the "I wanna fuck ya" lingerie. Light Blue by Dolce & Gabana is like crack-cocaine to most Costa Rican girls, and those gorgeous little 1/3 ounce bottles sell on eBay and in other places online for $5 or less, if you have patience and keep your eyes open. They are actually freebies given away by distributors and sold illegally online by store owners and salespeople, so it's all pure profit for them.

Lifetime Member
    The chicas like it when I give them my spare condoms or lube. It amuses me to see them smile over such a small gift. But I don't expect any kind of favor for it.