PDA

View Full Version : Hotel For Feb?

m845dy
10-21-2013, 02:09 AM
Im thinking of heading back down in Feb after doing 2 weeks in Dom. Rep. in Nov. Was wondering if you had any good recommendations for a hotel. Last time I did HLH and it was nice, laid back and not too much crazyness going on. Im looking for something like that for a reasonable price. Del Rey and *********s are out... Was leaning toward Amistad unless you can recommend anything else good. Thanks!

Attila
10-21-2013, 05:38 AM
Just got back from a short trip to SJ, stayed at L'Amistad. The place is nice and quiet but a short walk/taxi ride to all the places...*********, zona, hlh, nf, dr. The food is excellent and Matt and his staff are top notch. He will show you around if he's not too busy with running the hotel. I highly recommend the place.

cheers,
Attila

Speedy1
12-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Im thinking of heading back down in Feb after doing 2 weeks in Dom. Rep. in Nov. Was wondering if you had any good recommendations for a hotel. Last time I did HLH and it was nice, laid back and not too much crazyness going on. Im looking for something like that for a reasonable price. Del Rey and *********s are out... Was leaning toward Amistad unless you can recommend anything else good. Thanks!

Well, It's been 2 months since you made this post, and I have only been on the board for a few days, but you did say that you were not coming down until February. There are tons of hotels in San Jose, but it does seem, from your post, that you are looking for a hotel in the gulch area that is laid back, quiet, and a good bargain. That is, no doubt about it, Amistad to a freakin' "T". Now, you might balk at the room prices, but Matt has extended the all-inclusive deal into 2014. I shit you not -- this is the best deal in San Jose for a hotel stay. For $89 per day you get a 3.5 - 4.0 Star room and 4.5 star meals and all well drinks. I seriously DO NOT know how they can afford to do it.

Jonesie
12-31-2013, 12:43 AM
I'll agree. Not just because it's time for the sponsors to renew, but because I actually believe it's the best bargain in the gulch. There are cheaper rooms scattered around, but nothing is this nice at this price point, and the fact that it comes with food and bev from a fantastic restaurant and a classy bar, makes it the best deal in the gulch.

m845dy
12-31-2013, 02:53 AM
Yeah. la Amistad is the way to go from what I've been seeing all over. Just gotta firm up my plans now. Still debating on whether to do SJ or head back to the DR. Thanks for the input!!

Thaistick
01-01-2014, 05:30 AM
I liked HLH, but that's defunct so I say, hands down, Amistad is the best. The fact that you don't have to worry about food means you can be pretty reckless about spending money on girls and always know you got a hot meal and a bed to sleep at the end of the night. Plus, it's right next to SL so you can mosey on down there, pick yourself a lady, and just walk like 3 mins back to your room. Hell, it's only like a 10 min walk to Del Rey.

Mattyice
01-01-2014, 11:24 AM
HLH isnt defunct, its just split in two and taken over by new management.

Zona 2 has a new bar in the old downstairs area of HLH, and Scores has the old HLH bar with some major improvements. They are separated by a wall now, you have to go outside to enter each one.

You will find most of the same girls as before at Scores, and Zona 2 has their own lineup of girls. There are actually more girls overall.

Zona 2 has 4 penthouse suite rooms available for stay and the short term rooms from the old HLH, and Scores has the rest of the rooms same as before. Scores converted the downstairs rooms to short term, and all the upstairs rooms are available for stay.

If you liked staying at HLH before, you will like staying at Scores or Zona 2 even more.

Jonesie
01-01-2014, 11:55 AM
My man, I guess it all comes down to your definition of defunct. But your statement below is a textbook description of defunct.

Because the previous business in that location went bankrupt due to finances, ie; defunct. The mid-block location was sold to a new ownership group, who kept the previous owner on as an employee for the transition. And a completely separate party opened a separate business in the other half. So let's not describe it as dead, just reincarnated.

HLH isnt defunct, its just split in two and taken over by new management.

Zona 2 has a new bar in the old downstairs area of HLH, and Scores has the old HLH bar with some major improvements. They are separated by a wall now, you have to go outside to enter each one..

Speedy1
01-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Jonesie is spot-on here, in my opinion, with a couple of qualifiers. :)

HLH never found itself after taking over the second building and re-branding itself. Boyd had a good thing going, but he did not last too long, and after that it was a name constantly in search of a face. Z2, on the other hand, has been what it is for at least 10 years. A few modifications, sure -- but what has really changed? Actually, now, the big difference is going to be the change of girls and the dynamic with a similar (to a large degree, at least) establishment right next door. If these 2 places are smart (I wouldn't hold my breath, it is Costa Rica), they'll bury whatever hatchets they have and work together to feed on each others' business.

I do note that Z2 now has a bar in the same spot that the old ZB bar was located. Irony... You never see it coming.