PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Castillo

Jonesie
08-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Barrio Amon

Hadish
09-16-2012, 04:17 PM
What happened to their streetside bar, it was closed and locked up. Thought that was a good place to go and have a few brews. Disappointed.

Jonesie
09-12-2014, 10:29 AM
This just in, MattAmistad has bought the Castillo.

I'm guessing Matt knows what he's doing here. That hotel was once a very charming boutique lodging option with excellent space and endless opportunities. Years of neglect and lack of upkeep have followed and Matt's midas touch will be put to the test on this one.

We here at Ticaland wish him the very best of luck...

J

Speedy1
09-13-2014, 03:13 AM
This just in, MattAmistad has bought the Castillo.

I'm guessing Matt knows what he's doing here. That hotel was once a very charming boutique lodging option with excellent space and endless opportunities. Years of neglect and lack of upkeep have followed and Matt's midas touch will be put to the test on this one.

I just saw this and quite frankly, it shocked the hell out of me. Is this really true? Assuming that it is...

I have posted on this board and on several other boards, on multiple occasions, that Castillo is an excellent venue that is just begging to be managed by someone who knows what he is doing.

Due to the proximity to La Amistad, I am surprised to hear that Matt of La Amistad is the one doing the buying. However, as I am not a hotelier, and I don't know much about the inner workings of the business. I can only assume that he knows what he's doing. After all, many hotels in close proximity to each other, all over the world, are run by the same mangers/owners. La Amistad and Castillo represent different kinds of attractions to different kinds of people.

My primary hope at this point is that Castillo can finally be brought back to life. Castillo has always been one of my all-time favorites in the Gulch, and maybe now it will be again. Matt has already proven that he can run a full-service hotel in the Gulch, and compete against the best of the best.

Is this true? God... I hope so!

Come on, Castillo, come on!

Jonesie
09-15-2014, 12:30 AM
I'd have to say that Matt is likely the only guy in the gulch that could make a go of this place. He'll have his work cut out for him, that place needs a hell of a lot more than a coat of paint. But I've always liked that property and thought it was a huge missed opportunity. Let's hope that Matt & Co. make it all it can be.

Speedy1
09-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Ditto on that. Castillo is a missed opportunity that it appears, finally, will not be missed any longer. It remains to be seen what will be done, but I have met many folks over the years who love Castillo, and would love to see it brought back to life.

Just wishful thinking: I hope that the current layout is maintained. The inner outdoor courtyard with the bar in the back, with a nice little group of people hanging out, is something that I have dearly missed for the past couple of years. I hope that both bars and the restaurant can get back up to full power again. Matt is not a wanna-be hotelier -- he's proven that at La Amistad. I just hope that the Castillo will remain the Castillo. I love the indoor/outdoor effect with the courtyard. SL saw fit to enclose their courtyard, and it has worked well for them, but having something different is always nice.

The place is obviously in need of a cash infusion and some major renovations. I hope that can be done without raising the prices and rates too much, but I also hope that folks will be willing to pay a little more for a quality restart. It's an awesome place in a great location.