PDA

View Full Version : One-Millionth Tourist to Costa Rica in 2015

Speedy1
12-21-2015, 09:39 PM
First of all... Let me make one thing very clear...

I am not speaking ill or in any way speaking in a negative way about Costa Rica and its Tourism Industry. Why would I? With that being said...

The One-Millionth U.S. Tourist arrives in Costa Rica, right before Christmas, at SJO?

Was this pre-planned? Ya Think?!

What if the One-Millionth U.S. Tourist had actually arrived at LIR, instead of SJO? Was there a team of Travel Industry Officials waiting at LIR, just in case that happened? I leave that question for you, gentle readers, to ponder.

The One-Millionth U.S. Tourist to visit Costa Rica within a calendar year... Awesome. Too bad for all of you other schmucks from Canada, Europe, and whatnot.

How photogenic this family looks!

Speedy1
12-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Forgot the Link:

http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/12/19/costa-rica-travel-country-welcomes-1-millionth-us-tourist-year

Speedy1
12-22-2015, 12:11 AM
And you absolutely GOTTA love this comment from Costa Rica's Minister of Tourism, Mauricio Ventura...

“So far this year we have received a total of 2.7 million tourists, and the fact that a million of them come from our priority market – the U.S – reflects the quality of the tourism product we offer,” Ventura said.

Ummm... OK...

I've been a Professional in the Travel Industry for over 30 years... And I don't get it... I need somebody to explain it to me. I'm kinda slow... y'know...

-------------

So explain This One to Me...

"...this year we have received a total of 2.7 million tourists, and the fact that a million of them come from our priority market – the U.S – reflects the quality of the tourism product we offer..."

So... the fact that One (1) Million out of 2.7 Million Tourists visiting Costa Rica come from the U.S. ... reflects the quality of the tourism product that Costa Rica offers... ?

Why is that? Is it because only people from the U.S. understand and appreciate the "quality" of "tourism products"?

Or perhaps someone could give me another reason why 1 Million out of 2.7 Million tourists who visit Costa Rica are from the U.S.?

Jonesie
12-22-2015, 12:49 AM
I would say another 1 million came from Nicaragua. Sure, they stayed and picked coffee, cleaned houses, and did most of the actual work the country needed. But they did arrive on a tourist visa...

Jonesie
12-22-2015, 12:50 AM
And sure, why not make the one millionth tourist arrive at SJO? Do you really think they would have announced it any other way, whether true or not...

Speedy1
12-22-2015, 01:18 AM
And sure, why not make the one millionth tourist arrive at SJO? Do you really think they would have announced it any other way, whether true or not...

Precisely my point. You get it.

Speedy1
12-22-2015, 01:22 AM
I would say another 1 million came from Nicaragua. Sure, they stayed and picked coffee, cleaned houses, and did most of the actual work the country needed. But they did arrive on a tourist visa...

And... Don't Forget... This wasn't about them...

This was about the One Millionth --> U.S. <-- Tourist. As clearly stated in the article.

Speedy1
12-22-2015, 01:36 AM

I hate to open my "Can of Worms" about SJO, but... well... Why Not?! :) :P

SJO is a floundering mess that is just begging for death. It will happen... sooner, rather than later. Nobody wants to be in San José... and Pista 27 has opened the gateway to the Pacific Coast. Aside from that, LIR is beating the living shit out of SJO in tourism expansion. Marriott/Starwood, Hyatt, Riu, and everybody else can't climb over each other fast enough to open up mega-resorts on the Pacific Beaches in Guanacaste. And guess where all of the very best working girls in Costa Rica are, right now? Here's a hint... They ain't at HDR or in Jacó.

The Politicians in San José keep talking about the Orotina/Cascajal airport...

Meanwhile... LIR is sitting on Prime Flat Plain real estate, with hundreds of Hectares of room to expand. If someone would just pour in the cash... within One Year... LIR would have FOUR Wide-Spaced Parallel 4000-Meter Runways and would be RULING the Western Hemisphere, as far as Air Traffic goes. Not to mention Costa Rica's prime location for Global Shipping.

Costa Rica has the Whole World by the Tail! Will Costa Rica take advantage of that? Nah... Probably not...

Speedy1
12-22-2015, 01:47 AM
Here's what I'm talking about...

Here's what an airline hub in Costa Rica would give you...

1) 3000 Miles... typical short-range single-aisle stuff...

Yep... Pretty much the Entire Western Hemisphere... Non-Stop...

2) 8500 Miles... Long-Range stuff?

Yep... THE WORLD...

-----------

EDIT: I did use SJO for these maps. My mistake. SJO or LIR is inconsequential to these distances. LIR is simply better-suited for the job.

Speedy1
12-22-2015, 02:07 AM
And before Jonesie gets to thinking that I'm ragging on him... Which I Am Not! ...

Jonesie is absolutely Right! Colombia is the Shit-Hot place to be right now... there is no doubt about it.

Here's the problem... You can't "Sell" Colombia right now... especially not to My clients. They wouldn't pass within 500 miles of Colombia. It's all about perception... and Colombia still has a "Bad Rap." I can't miracle that away, and neither can anyone else. Good for You Guys! Bad for anyone who needs a huge amount of Security and Caution. That's just the way that it is. If I had my way, I'd be living on the beach about 3 kilometers Northeast of the Rafael Núñez International Airport in Cartagena, and all of you guys could suck my Rock-Hard Cock! :) :P

But... All joking aside... That's not how the world works. Colombia will have its day, but for now... that day is not made for the mainstream monger. Not yet. Jonesie is leading you all to one of the best mongering locations on Earth, and if you're smart... you'll follow. Colombia is Now, what Costa Rica was 20 years ago. Use that to your advantage, if you have the opportunity. Unlike Jonesie, however, I can't stand Medellin. Go to Cartagena! I love big cities by the beach! Can't beat 'em! Eh... That's just a matter of personal preference...

Speedy1
12-22-2015, 10:20 AM
LIR would have FOUR Wide-Spaced Parallel 4000-Meter Runways and would be RULING the Western Hemisphere, as far as Air Traffic goes. Not to mention Costa Rica's prime location for Global Shipping.

Not to mention... If the SST ever returns to service, Costa Rica has Total, Instant, access to trans-global over-ocean air transport, free of all noise issues regarding the SST.

As for Global Shipping, here's how it works in Costa Rica...

I order something from eBay or Amazon.com, and 3 to 7 days later, the guy from DHL or FedEx calls me on the phone and asks me what the best time would be for me to receive the package. Actually... That was the First time that I got a shipment from DHL or FedEx in Costa Rica. Ever since the Second time that I received a shipment from DHL or FedEx (and, actually, Correos de Costa Rica), they call and ask for me by name, like this, "Hello, Mr. Speedy1! We have a package for you. Is your usual delivery time of 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday OK?"

Then there's the time that a package went missing. The poor girl at Correos de Costa Rica was positively Indignant that I even suggested that Correos had misplaced my package. "Sir! We did NOT lose your package! I will put a trace on it Immediately and get back to you as soon as I find out what happened!"

Some Shithook at UPS had put the box on the wrong conveyor belt in Chicago and it ended up on the "Unable to Deliver" shelf in Chicago.