PDA

View Full Version : Belen / Cyrus Visual Runway 25

Speedy1
04-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Runway 7 is the preferred runway at "El Coco," but if you fly into San Josť often enough, you'll eventually experience an arrival or departure on runway 25. This is a great video of a Taca Airbus on the Cyrus (formerly Belen) Visual Runway 25 Approach.

The Captain is the "Pilot-Flying", and the First Officer is the "Pilot-Not-Flying" on this approach. The flight-deck protocol shown in this video is "by the book," and very well implemented. You can hear the landing gear transit and the engine power increase as the gear comes down. You can also see the landing gear indicator lights transition from red to green. Shortly after that, you can hear the autopilot disconnect alarm, and see the pilot-not-flying reconfigure the autopilot for a manual landing.

The main thing I don't like about Airbus is that it calls you a "Retard" as you are about to land! :) :P

Interesting, though... There is almost no talking during the last minute of the video. Normally, I hear a lot of "challenges" and responses -- but every airline has its own protocol.

---------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tn_sHql7hw

Speedy1
04-16-2015, 04:42 PM
The big problem with SJO is that it is located where it is. :)

Seriously... SJO's location puts it right in the middle of a "C" - shaped valley, with a single runway pointing at the open end of that "C." Aircraft usually approach the airport from the open end of that "C." If that is not possible, then aircraft must make a shorter, turning approach at the opposite end of the "C," which is closed -- surrounded by mountains. Most departing aircraft take off pointed at the mountains, and begin a turn towards lower terrain shortly after take-off. SJO works great, as long as the weather cooperates. Dense fog does occasionally occur at SJO, forcing aircraft to divert to another airport.

Cascajal International Airport will eliminate or mitigate most of the issues that affect SJO. It will be far less prone to fog. While Cascajal will not be immune to weather issues, it will not experience bad weather as often as SJO.

Speedy1
04-17-2015, 01:16 AM
Speaking of airports and approaches, I just found an old friend tonight...

This video of a CRJ flying the SADDE6 arrival into the North Parallels at LAX -- landing on 24R and parking at the South Terminals. The last job that I had in ATC was working LAX arrivals, at SoCal Approach Control and it was an awesome, challenging job. LAX is one of the few airports in the world where the Approach Controllers practice "Inboarding" -- an extremely intensive and demanding operation. I have tried to find videos of "Inboarding" on YouTube and other sites on the internet, but I can't. I suspect that the FAA has suppressed the publication of any such videos, so as to avoid scaring the living shit out of the flying public. That's too bad, as "Inboarding" is the most enjoyable and challenging things that I have ever done in Air Traffic Control.

---------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFEtJOF2UpU

Speedy1
04-17-2015, 01:47 AM
Another old favorite... Concorde (NEVER "The Concorde")...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bjzoh3iQJc

A magnificent aircraft that just simply does not play well with all of the other aircraft in the sky. I worked Concorde 3 times, and there is one thing that you learn very quickly about a supersonic delta-wing airplane that is designed to cruise at Mach 2+ at very high altitudes... SHE IS A PIG!!!!!

Concorde is a Beautiful, Gorgeous Lady, but... there is absolutely nothing that she doesn't do far worse than any other airplane. When you build a slim delta-wing high-altitude supersonic supercruiser, you DO NOT get a Jet Fighter... You get a pencil-thin arrow that couldn't maneuver if its life depended on it. When Concorde was flying, everything had better get out of her way, because she can't turn worth a SHIT! She's a missile. She's built for speed. And that requires a LOT of compromise. Concorde was supercruising almost 30 years before the F-22 first took flight.

Flying on Concorde was a surreal experience. She always points her nose towards heaven, even in cruise flight. Walking to the front of the cabin to use the toilet is like climbing Mount Everest. As far as "Going Supersonic"... You wouldn't even notice it, if they didn't put the speed display in front of you, on the bulkhead. They light the reheats to go supersonic, which you do notice, but actually passing Mach 1 is completely unnoticeable. Probably the coolest thing about Concorde is that she taxis around on those long, graceful, skinny legs, as you look out of those tiny little windows. She's a little princess... An anorexic supermodel that prances around the airport and looks down on everyone else. I mean... just riding on Concorde makes you FEEL SEXY, like a ROCK STAR! She just OOZES SEXY!

Speedy1
04-17-2015, 04:09 AM
One of the best and most realistic videos that I have ever seen of an airliner go-around...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fVI4l8KQM